Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 95 v6 and i would one day like to build my favorite saleen the 95 s351 well i have the 2 main components but dont know if ican use the motor. my friend gave me a 351 that he took apart at the school shop a year ago. i picked it up today only to find that im missing a piston the rocker arms and pushrods. those can be replaced what i need to know is if the motor is worth rebuilding bc theres rust on the block and heads. also the motor came from a boat that was prob used in saltwater.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I do believe you will have the block clean up polish the heads to get some good flow. If you can strok it to a 393 and get a stroker kit. I have a set of trick flow rockers arms and pushrods BRAND NEW never used also if your interested.
I have a Ford 351W Block from a boat also. I'll like to know

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
what kind of trans do you plan on using?If you plan on doing a stroker you should install aftermarket heads,cam and intake so you can take advantage of those cubes.351 strokers come with alot of choices of cubes,377,383,393,408,and418.if you plan on adding forced induction to that 351 look into forged pistons and good rods like Scat

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd say go for it, the marine blocks were a bit heavier than the automotive ones but the extra strength more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is no difference in the marine block and a production block. The only difference is in the year models. 71-74 blocks have a little stronger main webbing. After that they are the same. Only change was in 94 they made the lifter bosses taller for roller lifters. They did offer a mexican 351w block that was used in marine applications. It is identical to the 71-74 block except it has an extra boss cast in the side of it for a mount. It sonic checks the same as a 71 block. Weighs the same too.
To do the swap you will need the wiring harness and computer from a 94-95 GT.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
There is no difference in the marine block and a production block. The only difference is in the year models. 71-74 blocks have a little stronger main webbing. After that they are the same. Only change was in 94 they made the lifter bosses taller for roller lifters. They did offer a mexican 351w block that was used in marine applications. It is identical to the 71-74 block except it has an extra boss cast in the side of it for a mount. It sonic checks the same as a 71 block. Weighs the same too.
To do the swap you will need the wiring harness and computer from a 94-95 GT.
They also changed from a 2 piece rear main seal 2 a 1 piece. why would u want 2 use a 94-95 computer. I would use a Fox body mass air computer..

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
if it was in fact a marine motor, you need to find out if it was run in salt water or not. if it was, STAY AWAY from it. there will be corrosion in there that you can't see and will give you all kinds of hell down the road. even though it may be true that marine blocks are a bit stronger, i wouldn't go near putting one in my car - my family owns a marina, and i've seen what salt water can do. trash that and find a good 351 block somewhere else

1 - 10 of 10 Posts