Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 ford mustang 3.8 v6 5 speed it was driving fine up till a few days ago and then every time i went to turn it over it was weak kinda like batery was dieing then finally the next day after weak on the turnover i went into a store came out tried to restart it nothing one click from turning the key and that was it i pulled the batery out got it tested batery was great checked the cables all the way to the starter on the bottom of the car seemed good conectors good what im wondering is what else i can look for before pulling the starter trying to do process of elimination oh also after it wouldent turn over or do anything i was able to pop the clutch and start it that way drove fine for 15 minutes till i got home then turned it off again and nothing but the one click from turning the key so like i said just wanting to check what else it could be before takeing the starter out any imput would be great ty for your time....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It could be your alternator on its way out. They're easy enough to pull off and have tested so I'd try that first.

It does sound like a starter issue to me though.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well im going on to the starter tomorrow and batery was tested at auto zone and was great cables seem good all the way to the starter i just wanted to see if there was anything else to look for or check before pulling the starter out

·
Registered
928 Posts
no..its a gauge with a needle and theres a light also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh also the alternator was tested and was fine when i pop started the car it drove great with no loss of power it was when i turned it off and went to turn it back on was only one click then nothing so pulled batery out tested great check cables im sure its the starter i figure ill try jumping it tomorow to see if it might be the solenoid but i thought if it was the solenoid that it would click more then one time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and power sits around 15 volts while running after its been pop started it will hold around 15 volts the whole time

·
Registered
928 Posts
well looks like alt checks out id say battery or connections or ground

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
my altenator went out at like 40k miles ... i watched the battery gauge go down ... ?
Hmm maybe they are real then. When my alt started putting out 8volts at higher RPMs my gauge never moved from center. I could watch it datalogging on my tuner though.

I know for a fact our oil pressure "gauge" isn't a real gauge and thought the others were the same.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Hmm maybe they are real then. When my alt started putting out 8volts at higher RPMs my gauge never moved from center. I could watch it datalogging on my tuner though.

I know for a fact our oil pressure "gauge" isn't a real gauge and thought the others were the same.
This was same in my situation. The battery light came on but gauge did not move. Went straight to get it tested and was at 9 volts

·
Registered
631 Posts
try doing a manual start with a hot wire to the starter solenoid, if it starts the starters good and you need to trouble shoot, If not replace the starter. Run a wire from the hotside of the ignition switch to the starter, does it start? then you need to replace the ignition switch, either that or maybe your having a problem with a broken cable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts