Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am currently trying to figure out a smoking problem with my 1996 mustang gt. I smells like it is overloading with fuel. It has an auto meter fuel pressure memory module with high and low which i can find anything on. I had to add an oil catch can and that helped with the problem but now its the tail pipes smoking. Im just about stumped.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Does it smell like oil or fuel? If it's oil the catch can certainly would help, but it will take a very long time to burn off the accumulated oil.

You could pull your plugs to check and see what they look like. Thick, goopy residue would be oil, where as matte black, dry fouling is fuel. Or if they're a nice uniform tan, it may be just fine.

I would also hook up an OBD scanner and see what your short term and long term fuel trims are while it's running. That will give you an idea if it's really over fueling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did the valve cover gasket because that blew out and put new plugs in for the first start up. I did rub rub marvel mystery oil on the cam when i changed the valve cover because i left it off for about 3 weeks. My fault. Any how she smoked once it warmed up and it smelled liked fuel. I took it for a drive and it didnt smoke much until i got on it but im not sure. Only went 1/8th mile n turned around

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When its warm its smokes on an idle as well but i will hook up an obd and check the driver side plugs. The passenger side after the procharger is in is a no no. Not fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts