Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm looking for some advice on what engine to swap into my 97 gt. With my 4.6L v8 having around 189xxx miles i'm very sceptical on just throwing a turbo or supercharger on it. So i've resorted to finding the best engine to build that would make the most power and have not drive me broke doing it. So what engines will go under my hood that will provide me with a significant amount of power over my stock engine and will do not require alot of modifications??

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
You could find a motor from a wrecked 99-04 gt. It will give you about 50-60ish horsepower. It should be a direct fit, but not too sure. I had my motor swapped with one from an 01 gt but I got it like that.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would look for one out of an Explorer that way you get added HP and less weight since it uses an aluminum block. A friend of mine just did one in his shop for a customer and with nothing other than a offroad x pipe, welded in flowmasters, and a tune it made 245RWHP That should be a 50-60 HP gain over a stock NPI car.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Find a 2v 5.4 out of an 01+.

Youll have alot of fun.
You need a few more parts then you would a 4.6...and a tune...but youll have twice the fun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Anyone know where to find one for a good deal? I'm leaning more toward an 01 and up GT. Also will a cobra engine fit?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes a Cobra engine will drop right in but if you are going to go 2V I don't see any reason to use an iron block mustang engine over an aluminum block explorer engine.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yes a Cobra engine will drop right in but if you are going to go 2V I don't see any reason to use an iron block mustang engine over an aluminum block explorer engine.
How about an iron block Cobra engine? :D

Ugh I can't wait to put that damn thing in already.

But seriously, your options are limitless for modular engines. You can pick just about any 4.6/5.4, 2v/4v, iron/aluminum, there's tons of engines out there. Depends on your budget and what power you're looking for. You can go anywhere from 270hp (stock PI GT) for ~$450, up to 400hp (03/04 Cobra) for ~$7000, and anywhere in between.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i'm thinking about picking up an 04 GT block and building it up from there. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when before I buy it... such as condition wise..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts