Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I usually only do hand buffing but i finally ordered a buffer this weekend. I am only looking to get a nice shine and some small scratches out. Its my dd so Im just trying to get it to look nicer and get the swirls out.
I have already purchased these 3 products to use what do you guys think:

1st Meguiars Mirror Glaze M0116 - Professional Medium-Cut Cleaner | O'Reilly Auto Parts

2nd 3M 6068 - Machine Polish | O'Reilly Auto Parts
I got the 3m in a yellow bottle machine polish but not the ultrafine

3rd/last coat Meguiars Mirror Glaze M0316 - Professional Machine Glaze | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I know there is better products out there and im willing to upgrade next time around. do you guys think this will give me just an over all good shine? do you guys think the medium cut is to much?
thanks

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Hey buddy! Most of the guys here use random orbital polishers. The go-to products for correcting paint defects are

Meguires m105
Meguires m205

The 105 is to cut through defects and scratches, the 205 is for giving the paint a spit shine. These are professional products so they are pretty expensive. I use the over the counter meguires ultimate compound in place of 105 and meguires d151 paint reconditioning cream in place of 205, slightly cheaper options. You're going to have to watch a LOT of YouTube videos and do a lot of reading. If its your first time you want the best case scenario of products, pads, and machine. I use lake country hydro tech pads because they're simple. 1 pad for compound 1 pad for polish and 1 pad for wax. Here's some other things you WILL need.

Good car wash soap
Diluted isopropyl alcohol
Many, many quality microfiber towels
2 buckets, 2 grit guards
Quality wash mitt
Quick detail spray
Synthetic wax/sealant (same thing)
Carnauba wax (optional)
I may be forgetting a few things but there's the jist of it.

Note: when I say quality I mean it. Do not go to autozone for things like towels, wash mitts, and soaps. If you want quality results, you need quality products.

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok great. i have a couple of pads already and bunch of towels but i think i need better ones. for the products that i have listed will they be a good starting point for the 1st time? the bottles i have a just about brand new

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Nice! What hardware did ya order?

m105/205 are great products and actually aren't expensive compared to what you get for the same price else where for good products. m105 = 20~ for 32 oz and cg v34 = 18~ for 16 oz.

I have no experience with any of those products actually but Medium cut is not too much. I can't tell you how that will look when it's done though.

Stevey is right. . . A lot of research to be done.

Here are a couple corrections I did (including my first one). Hopefully there are bits of info in there that will help ya through yours:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/287384-nalas-paint-restoration-project-26-hours.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/285342-my-first-paint-correction-picture-heavy.html

Edit: What kind/color of pads do you have and what size?

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got 2 black polishin pads. 7in each. I bought the nice orbital buffer that harbor frieght had on sale last month. But im gonna look for really nice finishing pad. i cant do the buffing till this weekend so ill have plenty of time to look

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Its the exact same thing as the HD polisher that everyone loved... Untill people saw it was a rebranded Chicago. I think its a good deal, get a aftermarket backing plate and stay away from the HF pads. Their Tangerine pad went meltdown doing a simple polish of headlights.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
I got the HF one too when my brother ran over my PC7424 (not the xp) No complaints from me.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Hopefully it works man. Grab a 5" backing plate

Buff and Shine 5" Flexible D.A. Backing Plate

Look into BnS pads (Orange/Green/Black) are the 3 I have Orange is cutting, Green is polishing, Black is sealant/wax

Lake Country Hydrotech pads are good and simple. There are 3 colors Cyan = Cutting Tangerina = Polishing Crimson = Wax/Sealant

Cyans don't last long so I would go with BnS Orange pads. I like Tangerines and Green and Black and Crimson so I don't have much of a preference when it comes to those ones. BnS are cheaper but they are both great.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
I wish they sold a rotary. I really want to learn how to use a rotary just so I know.
I thought they did? lol I'm going to stay away from a rotary... no need for me to kill a mosquito with a hammer. My cars usually don't get that bad lol.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I thought they did? lol I'm going to stay away from a rotary... no need for me to kill a mosquito with a hammer. My cars usually don't get that bad lol.
Nah I will have a test panel from a junkyard soon. I'm not learning on my car. . . First time that went wrong I would be throwing a temper tantrum like a child lol.

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive heard pretty good things about the buffer from some other people to so i just grabbed that one. alot of the stuff HF has is worth the money you dont always need a craftsman, matco, snap on, etc.

i already bought a 6" flexible wheel for it i might return it and get the 5" then

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Ive heard pretty good things about the buffer from some other people to so i just grabbed that one. alot of the stuff HF has is worth the money you dont always need a craftsman, matco, snap on, etc.

i already bought a 6" flexible wheel for it i might return it and get the 5" then
The 5 inch is the way to go for polishing a new edge as far as I know. I have a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads (what you're supposed to use) and I can get into some pretty tight spots that I'm sure the 6.5 inch pads could not reach. Go on YouTube and watch pretty much all of autogeek.net's correction videos as well as Junkman2000's videos. They helped me TREMENDOUSLY. also, do you already know how to do a proper wash and clay? Gotta start with bare bones stuff first.

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok cool ill check those videos out.
yea i have clayed it before and i think i have a decent wash its not a chemical guys or anything though

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts

5"= less rotating mass

That could mean a lot when the machine doesn't have a lot of power.

·
TwinScrew Boostin'
846 Posts
This video should give you all the info you need to know about getting started with D/A machine polishing.

:getmoney:

·
Dirt Dives Me Crazy
1,197 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts