Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im looking to build a 2.3 for a race car, most motors ive found are fuel injected 2.3s, can i take the 8 plug head off, switch it with 4 plug from an older model and run carburetor and do away with all computer and stuff,

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
The big issue with that is-
1.) Finding a 4 plug head, let alone one that isn't cracked
2.) The DIS (8 plug) engines use a different auxiliary shaft that doesn't have a drive gear for a distributor on it. You could use a standalone ignition system, but at that point you might as well just run it as is. Or you could again try to find a rare aux shaft with the gear.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It has been a while since I visited these forums and I'm glad to see that someone is at least trying to answer these 2.3L questions. I know this is an old post, but in case someone else stumbles onto this with a similar question, I thought I'd shed some light on it.

All but the last iterations of the Ford Lima engines were fitted with an oil pump drive and/or a pump drive with a cam synchronizer. So the 95ish' on, went with the redesigned block and direct drive oil pump.So that leaves a lot of "dual plug" engines that will accept a distributor: 88'-94'.

All dual plug engines run perfectly on one set of spark plugs and through many model years, Ford actually inhibited the 2nd coil pack from firing after 1500 RPM. You can run a distributor instead of coil packs on the non cam phase Ford EFI systems. When ported, the dual plug heads flow as well as any of the other castings and many off road and circle track racers have put them to use.

Dual plug carb intakes are limited to the (LRG 423 &425) industrial engines, single barrel carb models. Some racers have modified LRG manifolds to accept larger carburetors. Many years ago I modified a lower dual plug EFI manifold to work with carburetors, and it worked surprisingly well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts