Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4cyl to 460 Big Block ci.

Hey guys, im fairly new to the forum but hope to get lots of knowlege and help fromnyou guys on my build. Im going to do an engine swap soon from a 4 cyl 87 mustang to a 460 ci big block. Im aware that most say it will be a tight squeeze but seeing as how people have done it im sure i can as well. I have already made a list of things that i will need to complete the swap which are...

Aftermarket radiator and electric fans
Upgraded clutch/flexplate
New flywheel
New bellhousing
New driveshaft
Engine swap kit(headers,motor mounts, etc etc)
Upper/lower control arms
Subframe connectors
New 9 inch rear end.

Im going to go look at a rear end in a salvage yard today and am wondering exactly as what to look for. A 9 inch rear end would be great as it would be able to take the mass loads of torque and power from that 460. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what to find about about my rear end vs the new one?
Measurements,looks etc?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
660 Posts
Why are u coming to the 4 cyl section to ask a V8 swap related question?

Think about it - if the guy doing an engine swap installed a V8, he's usually not hanging out in the 4 cyl. section.

This forum section is for those who have a 2.3 and are looking to mod it, and not a V8.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think a 8.8 rear would be fine for a 460 as there is people putting insane amounts of power through them. My curiousity is what trans you are planning on running. Id probably say you should look into a good built auto for it. Is the motor going to be mostly stock?

·
Registered
26 Posts
im doing the same thing with my 87 notch but with a 501 stroker. Im using aje kmember, hooker headers, quiktime bell and tko 600, mcloede hydralic conversion on the clutch, not sure about the rear but im thinking a fab 9 or somthing of sorts. And the point in a big truck motor is to go 10's naturaly asperated and no bottle

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
giant hood heavy motor thats huge and doesnt have a huge market like the 8.2/9.5 deck, super cool

·
Registered
26 Posts
the 385 series big block has a good size market just have to know where to look. check kaase, blue thunder, even trick flow is maken heads and intakes. call me old school ill take 500 inches over 300 any day

·
Registered
65 Posts
It will almost bolts right in with plenty of room. I did one back in 1986 or 7. It was in hot rod magazine in 1990 or 91.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
you ever notice that people that dont own these cars, or don't race want big blocks?

Like my brother. He has a old POS truck that has been sitting for about 8 years, it has a 460, and a c6. He wants to buy a foxbody and put it in there.

I explaned that they are way to expensive to build, and my 302 would run circles around it until he had 10k to invest in it. but nope, wants a big block.

If you had a budget of lets say...... $5,000. for the motor alone. I bet with the way the 302/351w aftermarket is, vs the 460+ big block parts are, you would be going MUCH faster with a 302/351 then the 460.

anyway, you do you brah.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts