Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was throwing around the idea of putting a 96-98 3.8 V6 in my '92 hatch since my 4-banger seems like it's going to take a sh1t. How complicated would this swap be? I know I need motor mounts, computer, wire harness, transmission, bellhousing, have the speedometer recalibrated, etc. Since everyone and their mother has a 5.0, I want to do something different and do a V6 swap. Is it worth it?

·
Banned
808 Posts
wow
i wouldnt know but why not look into the 99+ 3.8s
split port intake manifold would be a little more worth it than the pre 99s

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
... you might have to grab a 5.0 K member though the 2.3 one might work... the only thing with doing a 99 and up is they have a lot of computer tech in them and they have the PATs and **** like that going on, you might have to redo the dash... or grab an ecu out of a 97 or 96 and make that work

·
Registered
452 Posts
... you might have to grab a 5.0 K member though the 2.3 one might work... the only thing with doing a 99 and up is they have a lot of computer tech in them and they have the PATs and **** like that going on, you might have to redo the dash... or grab an ecu out of a 97 or 96 and make that work
No, you're right... the 2.3L and 5.0L can mount to the same K, but the 3.8 was different.

Super Six has a split port 3.8 in a Fox Hatch that runs 11's N/A... so maybe ask them.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
the 3.8 uses the same K member as the 5.0 though... so that the thing i don't know if it would need a new one... i think its only the 4.6 that has a different K member

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
The other idea that may be a good one if u want to make more power is grab a 96-98 3.8 and then do a split port swap with netter heads a nice cam, and better intake set up, be it windstar, P&P stock one, or a cut and weld one.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
with all the money ull be spendin just buy like a 94 6er i think.

be around same price, i got my 98 w/ 74k miles for 4000 (salvage tho)

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
with all the money ull be spendin just buy like a 94 6er i think.

be around same price, i got my 98 w/ 74k miles for 4000 (salvage tho)
ya but a fox is lighter so same power = faster car
and there arnt many 3.8 foxes so it is Unique

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
hah true

·
Registered
452 Posts
the 3.8 uses the same K member as the 5.0 though... so that the thing i don't know if it would need a new one... i think its only the 4.6 that has a different K member
It's something to look into for sure. I know that on the Foxes, you don't need a new K-member to swap a 5.0 into a 2.3, but you DO if it's a 3.8.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
back when ford was making the 94/95 5.0, that and the 3.8 shared the same k-member to save money. In 96 when the 4.6 came out...the gt got a new k-member, but the v6 kept using the same one. I already remember reading this on this site before.....actually i think it was an OMZ post.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
thats what happened in 94... so i don't know if the older ones had different K members... motor mounts might be the only thing you need to switch

·
Registered
452 Posts
thats what happened in 94... so i don't know if the older ones had different K members... motor mounts might be the only thing you need to switch
Like I said, when swapping a 5.0 into a 2.3, you can retain the same K, but if you're swapping a 5.0 into a 3.8 FOX, you need a new K.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
i just don't find that to be 100% if you can get some pics man i would believe you in a heart beat but it just doesn't make sense to me, why can the 5.0 fit in the 3.8 K member but not vice versa?

·
Registered
452 Posts
i just don't find that to be 100% if you can get some pics man i would believe you in a heart beat but it just doesn't make sense to me, why can the 5.0 fit in the 3.8 K member but not vice versa?
Yeah, it made the most sense that if they're interchangeable on the 94+ cars, that they would be interchangeable on Foxes, too.

So, I looked around a little. I can still find people who say you need a new one to go from 3.8->5.0, but I've also found a couple that say the following:

K-member: The only k-member that is not compatible with a V8 is the straight 6 (200-cid) k-member. It only appears in '83 and earlier cars.
So, it may be that the 3.8/5.0 K-member difference is just a rumor based on the old I-6. I can't say for sure... but like I've said all along, it's something you'll want to look into closely before you do the swap... or, check with someone who's got a new 3.8 in a Fox... like SSM.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I know this is the sixer section and all, but for all the trouble and cost of a motor swap, why not put a V8 in there

·
Registered
817 Posts
^^^^ ?!?!!? ya why not........it seems like a logical question?!?!?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts