Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new here i know this is about stangs but i cant find help any where else i want to turbo my 2.3l 4 banger truck dont really know what is a good turbo for this engine help wanted thanks

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
Depends on what kind of power you're looking to get out of it. Typically a ranger roller cam mated to a T3 turbo will be good for a few hundred horsepower and have a decent amount of low end torque to go with it.

What year is the truck/motor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
truck is a 1997 motor is getting rebuilt now should do done friday the engine only had 137k but i have thinking about this for a few months so i put in the shop now i need to fine the right combo. i dont want to much horse power maybe between 100-150 do they sell a t3 kit or something looking for something i can buy and have put in nothing big simple

·
Registered
756 Posts
Are you looking to gain 100-150 hp or is that the level you want to be at? If you are only shooting for 100-150 hp total than you can make that without a turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i want to gain 100-150 my truck i s about 110-140 right dont know for sure have to check tomorrow so i wan to be right under 300hp dont really know what i can do to get more hp like far as cams and stuff.i found a t3/t4 turbo kit for 679 i dont know if that all i need to have someone put it in they are going to get back to me.but i was only tring to spend maybe 1500 for this project so if u know any tips i can do with a turbo i am all for it.

·
six shooter
247 Posts
What exactly are they doing in the rebuild? The 1998-2000 2.5L Limas had the most power at 119hp and 149tq.

Did they know you were planning on turbocharging the car? It's going to need forged internals for sure. You'll probably want to get an aftermarket head for it too. I'm not too sure what that stock head will support. You should have the oil return drilled out in the block while it's being worked on.

What "kit" are you talking about? I've never seen one for these motors, much less the Ranger itself.

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
You can turbo these things for typically around $500, less if you get a really good deal...I've seen it done for $200 for a cheap parts car.

You definately want forged internals, which it likely isn't going to get in a standard rebuild. I have a set of clean turbocoupe forged pistons/rods I'll sell, good to ~450rwhp.

BoPort sells a nice hybrid turbo for $600-700 that would work well for this, though it can be done on a much cheaper stock T3 turbo ($100-$250). Invest in a big front mount intercooler, maybe talk to 70-yenko-nova about his nice big mishimoto.

Porting will make a world of difference here as well. You're going to have to convert to a 4 plug setup with a distributor and ditch the wastespark 8 plug DIS though, so there will be some modifications needed to the wiring harness (or pick up a turbo wiring harness and swap it all out)

$500 can typically find you a complete turbo motor. Send the head to BoPort for a stage 1 port for about $250 (or have it locally ported), gut the upper intake on your own, port out the lower intake, port out the stock E6 exhaust manifold, (exhaust, and intake manifolds can be done yourself) $300 or so for a big front mount intercooler, you're now at roughly $1050 amd you ought to have a motor capable of doing more than 300hp. There are plenty of other combinations to make 300 though. Really, you should be able to port out the intake and exhaust manifolds, leave the head stock, front mount intercooler, ~20psi, really high fuel pressure ought to just about do it on a budget.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The 97 block can not use a distributor, youre better off to just find a turbo coupe engine and harness, because you will need many extra parts and it will nickle and dime you to DEATH trust me i started this on my mustang.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No, the 96 and up block have the oil pump where the auxilary shaft is on the older ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts