Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
ive been working on a prodject for a long time, finally done enough research to get it going.
let me give you a run down, i have bought a motor and trans, (attached to eachother) its out of a 86, i have a 5.0 carbureted motor, with a t-5 bw trans, im curently working right now, so i need to get it up and running at least, so i was thinking of just swaping the trans in for now, but i have some concerns, like can i use all the parts like, flywheel, clutch, bell housing, everything that came with the motor and tranny i bought to fit it on the 2.3?

in planner simpler words, since i have the motor and tranny, and only want to swap one at a time, will i need to buy any adapter plates or anything to make it work?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Buy a 4 cyl clutch flywheel and bell housing. The hardest part of the entire swap is installing the clutch pedal. The best plan for that is to get a setup out of a manual car and swap the assembly. Its a pretty strait forward job if you have the parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got the clutch pedal done, what i want to know is, can i just swap everything over from the 5.0, to the 2.3 in terms of installing the t/5 trans? or i need a 4cyl clutch and flywheel and bell housing, in order to make the t-5 work? not completly understanding, i know its how i word it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i got the clutch pedal done, what i want to know is, can i just swap everything over from the 5.0, to the 2.3 in terms of installing the t/5 trans? or i need a 4cyl clutch and flywheel and bell housing, in order to make the t-5 work? not completly understanding, i know its how i word it.
You will need to buy the clutch flywheel and bell housing. They will not fit from a 5.0 to a 2.3l. Thats why i said buy the parts. Sorry if i confused yo much.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
One other note. The bellhousing and starter plate are specific for the 1990 and earlier cars because of the oil pan. I have a bellhousing and starter plate that will fit your car and the bolts for them too. Send me a PM if your interested in them for a reasonable price. I think I also have a spare clutch fork but you will need to find the two cables. There is a short cable that connects to the bellhousing linkage and a long cable which connects to the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So will an 89 2.3 bellhousing work on a 93 2.3? Before i go and spend 140 some odd dollars on a clutch kit and flywheel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts