Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi this is my 1st post nice to meet you. Now to business. I am quite familiar with the search function but anything I find relevant is almost 10 years old :sorry. This is just a toy/aka street car. Not looking for a competition car. Now here's my dilemma..I'm in the process of finding a suitable 302 for my 93 240sx. I wanted to just throw a stock 5.0 with a cam mated to a t5 in it. But no. My buddy has me thinking now to rebuild it. The issue is is I have set a $1500 budget because I could rebuild my "4banger" bottom end for 500+whp with that instead. I'd rather not tho I want to try new things. So to rebuild it fresh with rings/bearings/seals is going to be about $900. So what combinations of heads/cams/intake/carb/springs/would you recommend for a 2700lb 4.08 geared 240 and 5-600 left to spend rebuilt? Or don't rebuild it and rely on lady luck but have more for power adders? If you asked me what I would do for an easy 300whp hp on a ka24de I would say, hx35 at 12-16psi(depends on tune), 550cc injectors, romtune, fmic, tial 38mm wg, dsm bov, blablahblah. IDK its 2am and I'm just rambling looking for a little sbf guidance. Flame On idc. Help would be appreciated tho. ;)

p.s. I chose the 302 because A)an absurd amount of after market B)drops right in with explorer mounts and my oe tranny mount C)$$$ they are cheap and everywhere. The only custom items needed are a front sump oil pan cut to fit my xmember and a driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Motors gonna be 20 years old..... if you want it to last then a rebuild would be advised.

If you look in the 4v section we have a member who just swapped an integra body on a cobra chasis and engine. Its a nice.read.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
welcome and we dont mind helping. I came from imports i had a toyota supra MKI with a 2jz swap and a MkII toyota mr2. I cant help to much with the carburetor side because im a efi and stand alone guy. But since your on a budget build, i recommend probe pistons there cheap and good quality and edelbrock heads. But just my advice any one else.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
you dont rebuild a 302, you get another one out of the junkyard for 400 bucks and slap it in

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Does this 1500 include swap parts? My friend and I did an LSx swap into his 96 240 and not including the engine, you're going to spend a LOT more than $1500. IIRC the swap kit from sikky with the headers was more than 2k alone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
first of just saying "nitrouse is dangerouse" is retarted. to broad of a statement. just like anything else the nitrouse is only as dangerouse as the user's skill in installing it/using it.

as for as a 302 block, I would suggest looking for 5.0 HO motors from 86-92 1/2. they came from the factory with forged internals and have been know to take a hella beating. you can tell the forged motor by the titanium or 'grey' colored oil pan. 92 1/2 to 93 and up had hyperpyutectic(sp?) pistons however are still very storg. when I had my 92 with the hyper pistons I may of only had bolt-ons, but I did beat the crap out of that motor and it had 212000miles on it when I sold it still running and not burning oil. (bear in mind I am anal about oil changes)

as far as your 4 banger options I am well aware of how much power they make. but you also have to be aware of the 5.0s torque curve. I have owned both, having a fat torque curve (which is funny cause we call it a curve, optimally you want the torque curve as FLAT as possible) is alot more fun and you can win alot more races when compared to a comparable top end motor of similar power.

as far as getting 500hp out if it which I think you mentioned I would suggest either spray or boost. there are 5.0s out there that can make 500hp N/A but these are not usually street friendly motors. from stock they respond well to bolt ons. the achillies heel in that motor is the head. its not uncommon to get 40-60hp from a head swap and tune once all the supporting parts are in place.

you can save money by going carborated, however I suggest spending the money on modding the HO motors efi setup. if you go the efi route make suer you are pulling parts from a car with mass air. the computers on mass air cars (about 88-93) can take a ton of modding without needing a re-tune(though tuning of course will get you more power). the speed density motors(no mass air sensor) can be modded just the same, but you will just be spending more time and money trying to tune the thing.

always be searching classifieds on here, corral.net, ebay, local swap meets, and other places. used parts, not to mention almost whole 5.0 motors, are always getting baught and sold for far FAR under retail.

btw, do you have any target power levels or target speed goals?

hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I just have to say i dont feel comfortable talking to someone with the name peniswatcher. Im just saing.. "Cartman voice " dog **** aint right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow you domestic guys are very receptive:hug. We import guys tend to be douches on the forums.. Sorry I may have misdirected you btw. I am not looking for 500hp from the 302 I fear that almighty block crack. At those numbers I would just source a 351w block. I can make more power from my ka with that money but I was just wanting something a little different and more reliable. I think I have decided not to rebuild it until it takes a :shitbrick. Boost is definitely an option later I just don't know enough about ford tuning products yet. Besides from what I have read these motors are funny about boost if your using the wrong intake, cams, and heads. Boost would be easier as far as tolerences go tho, like I would lower compression by using a thicker headgasket which would inturn allow me to use a more aggressive cam/rocker setup right? Its going to cost next to nothing to have it sitting in my engine bay. I can't weld but my buddy is a pro lol. For about 6-700 I can have it in and running(stock).

·
Registered
6,990 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha looks like I got some reading to do. Yeah I have noticed alot about the explorer heads and intake. I had running a carb in mind for simplicity but I have realized that not only will boost be my money maker later on but the better engines it seems are efi oe anyway. Like I really want a mid 85? to mid 92? mustang 5.0 because its forged and the explorer 5.0 has smaller accessories and better i/h's. IDK I'm going to this junkyard in the am to try to find one. I still could get a running towncar 5.0 with 110k on it for 300 tho. I still have a month before the build starts anyway because I'm waiting on my 2nd car. My "buddy" I keep referring to owns a wrecker service and hes hooking me up with a 01 forester for a grand. But we are waiting on the title.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts