Modded Mustang Forums banner

2.6 KB supercharger.

1K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  MikeJones 
#1 ·
Is the supercharger safe to go on a stock engine with 130,000kms? i want the 2.6 because i have plans for rebuilding. hence the big superchager i will be running the 9psi pully. so i don't go over the safe limit.

#4 ·
I can't say what miles 130,000kms is but it sounds like a lot and it would depend on how soon you are going to rebuild?? Running 9psi would be kinda of safe, thats what I beleive termies run stock but they have a lower compression to compensate. As for the IRS and solid axle depends on you a solid axle will give you better times on the 1/4 and an IRS will dominate the track. The swap is relatively easy only a couple of fabrications or mods im sure there is a thread about a IRS swap??

#9 ·
hahaha. ^^. the rebuild could be a year. maybe two. all work will be done by myself. cause thats what i find most fun. haha. i just wanna keep it around 400 just so the rods don't get someone in the eye.

#11 ·
depending on the tune and power it will last a while mileage is not that big a deal, DON'T SWAP TO AN IRS irs breaks like hell drag racing, the stocker will hold more power than most give it credit for but the best swap you could do is a 9 inch or 31 spline, if you want handling seek it else were springs, sway bars, struts, control arms what ever.

#12 ·
turbo... you think 15 #s is ok? it might be for a lil while but thats quite a bit for that stock shortblock. Id rather go with heads/cams for the extra power that will be safe and more efficient than just go 15#'s right off the bat. Im a firm believer in these stock shortblocks being tougher than credit given but i also think that efficiently gaining the numbers will prolong the life.

#15 ·
The 2.6 would be out of its efficiency range by a tad... but damn im jealous :sorry i went with the 2.1 cause i didnt want to get a forged block... well that didn't last long when mine blew up lol!

#16 ·
oh No worries Ryan. i have 4 grand to pay off first. and i'm picking the car up this weekend. hopefully there will be nothing wrong with it. im gonna have my performance shop take a nice look over it. sucks buying a car now so i have to store it over winter but i got everything i want and for a reasonable price.

#17 ·
15 psi is HUGE. You can make enough power to snap your stock rods with 9psi easy. I wouldn't go anywhere 15psi with a stock shortblock unless you really badly want to break it, or you are REALLY soft footed. But whats the point of the power if you can't use it?

#22 ·
If the car has been regularly maintained (scheduled oil changes and exedra) its whole life, and is in good running order then you should not have a problem running 9psi. A stock 4.6 2V can usually run up to around 400-420hp safely. But being that your car has the mileage (Kilometres) it does I would not push it to far past 400hp just to be safe.

Also what the difference between the IRS on the Cobras, and the gt's? is it worth while in the end to do a swap? or is it just a reciepe to more problems?
IRS (Independent rear suspension) is where one wheel (axle) moves up and down autonomously from the other wheel (axle).

GTs have a solid rear axle. Whatever happens to one rear wheel will effect the other one.

IE: You are on race track (road course) and your left rear wheel goes off the track and up the curb. On the IRS car the right rear wheel will stay straight on the track. On a solid rear axle car the right wheel will pivot (making the car more unstable) with the wheel that went up the curb.

Now is it worth swapping to an IRS. I would say no. An IRS system is very expensive to beef up to handle high horse power. And if you ever plan to race on the drag strip (and use slicks) a solid rear axle is far more superior and cheaper to build up then a IRS system.

I can't say what miles 130,000kms is but it sounds like a lot and it would depend on how soon you are going to rebuild?? Running 9psi would be kinda of safe, thats what I beleive termies run stock but they have a lower compression to compensate. As for the IRS and solid axle depends on you a solid axle will give you better times on the 1/4 and an IRS will dominate the track. The swap is relatively easy only a couple of fabrications or mods im sure there is a thread about a IRS swap??
130,000kms = 80,778.2 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.