Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning and after awhile it started missing on cylinders 2 and 5 again. Tried a skate cool and ignition module to no avail. 94 gr. Any ideas? Btw injectors are flashing and I have spark....not strong but spark

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
How old are the plug wires, cap, rotor, and plugs? With it being just two cylinders id start there.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
What's a tfi, new cap,rotor,wires
Sorry, i edited my post. The TFI handles spark, its an ignition component. I am assuming 94 gr was meant read 94 gt? On a 94 i think its on the fender? Usually grey and about 4-5" long or so. Start with the tuneup and see if that helps first. Like i said, its just those two cylinders. If it were the TFI it would probably be weak on all 8.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It had something to do with those two cylinders, if I let it sit overnight it runs great. When warm, Mises on those two cylinders

·
Registered
346 Posts
It sounds like the pip sensor in the distributor might be on the fritz or the tfi like mentioned before. Pull the codes and see what you get. And yeah check on the plugs.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Check the plugs in the morning and again after it starts acting up. Could be fouled with oil, gas, or even coolant.

Is it only 2 and 5 that have a weak spark? How is the spark on all eight? Could be a bad TFI/ignition module or a weak coil if it is all eight. That would affect plugs 2 and 5 even more so if they are already fouled.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
replaced the dizzy and it ran like a champ...drove it for 30 minutes on the freeway and it started chugging again.....ugh
going to replace the wires next after that???? ideas?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just pulled the heads, cylinders and valves are perfect. Going to replace the distributor again. Got coffees 157,158 and a code lean left bank ( small exhaust leak)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
That seems a bit excessive for a missfire. Are you sure you didn't get bad wires?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry, i have done a compression test. compression good across the board. Have not replaced the wires yet. I just am curious what would cause two maf codes or if a bad maf would cause a multiple cylinder misfire. I am not a huge ford guru. New cap, rotor,distributor,gaskets across the board and no vacuum leaks. It has tendency to run great once in awhile. But code 157 and 158 throw me off. I am unsure of the symptoms of a bad maf and i don't want to keep throwin parts at this thing

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Code 157 could be from unmetered air entering the air tube after the MAF. The IAC will try to compensate for this but usually throws the idle off. Check the air tube clamps at the MAF and throttle body. An over oiled K&N can also cause problems. The MAF can be blinded so to speak and not read anything. Code 158 however usually means the MAF is dead. Pull the plug and check for corrosion or blackened terminals. If any are black, replace the MAF.

Otherwise, check the MAF with a digital voltmeter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took it of cleaned it and checked the connectors. Runs great but I know that after an hour it will run bad again..... Could a bad maf be hit and miss like this?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts