Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so lately ive been getting some gear whine and know thats really bad. it doesnt happen on the time but when i drive for like 30 minutes or more i hear a wierd noise and if i hit the brakes kind of hard my transmission sounds funny. also shifting isnt always smooth. not talking about like ride quality but sometimes the stick just doesnt want to go into 4th from 3 while im driving. i know for a fact that i have a bent transmission fork becuase its almost impossilbe to be able to get it in reverse sometimes without first putting it in another gear. and then theres a leak rite below my shifter. the guy i bought my o/r pipe said it wasnt bad but theres definitly a leak

so ive been told before that getting a steeda tri ax now would save the trans from being damaged anymore. steeda even says that it prevents damage to the forks. i heard that it wont help the problem of the bent fork but will prevent/stop it from getting worse

basically im worried about my rear end or transimission getting damaged and figure that getting new gears in and a tri ax might prevent me paying thousads of dollars down the road.

i planned on getting these mods down the road anyways but i think its sort of important to get it now becasue the problems are happening more and more. just yesterday when i was driving my hand wasnt even on the stick and it went out of 4th and made the worst grinding noise ever

i guess im going to talk to my dad about holding off on giving him insurance money for the month and using the moeny to do the mods

what you guys think

thanks alot

and sorry for such a long post

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
you don't have a bent shift fork.

the reverse gear is not syncoed to the rest of the gears is all.
It's quite common and by putting it into another gear first is the common fix to align the gears correctly.
and it sounds like
you have a leaking shifter / bad gasket which is also an easy fix.

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fix everything before buying boltons

such as getting new gears and a short thrower rite

i mean i plan on doing it anyways so....

and ive been told by a mod on musatng forums that reverse is syncoed

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I'd have the tranny looked at and fixed, than get the gear, and check your u joints and replace if needed. i just rebuilt my rear end, and even though I only had a 8k mi on the u joints I replaced them. They were 8k extremely hard mi. I f I take something apart to repair a certain area I repair all of the surrounding parts as well.

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much are you joints

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok...lol

so do i need 4 of them or???

but serisouly shouldnt just getting new gears and a new shifter help the most

my dad didnt really take care of the engine and had to get it rebuilt and i dont want something really bad to happen liek need to replace trans or rear end

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
There are 2 U joints, one on each end of the driveshaft. New gears may or may not be the problem, although it likely is. You could also probably need new bearings in the differential. How many miles are on the car?

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

and im not too sure if the gears are the problem for sure or not...but id rather not take the risk...300 bucks could save me a grand later

and i want 410s anyways

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you tlking bout the 10 bucks a gram thing or???

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
you don't have a bent shift fork.

the reverse gear is not syncoed to the rest of the gears is all.
It's quite common and by putting it into another gear first is the common fix to align the gears correctly.
and it sounds like
you have a leaking shifter / bad gasket which is also an easy fix.

+1... 4th gear will do it... the t-45s were especially bad about that.. but.. if you gonna pull the shifter off to fix the leak.. might as well put a short throw on. upr blue thunder ftw....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts