Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the car this morning, and it instantly blew out the number 2 plug on the pass side.... Need help on what to do next, and my options. Reps for sure!!! Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Most people take it and get a timesert or helicoil. I personally went with the helicoil because it was cheaper and it's fairly easy to do. did it bust your coil pack?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people take it and get a timesert or helicoil. I personally went with the helicoil because it was cheaper and it's fairly easy to do. did it bust your coil pack?
Oh yeah broke it clean off where it bolts to the intake, gotta order a new one from msd, pisses me off, it just turned 40,000 miles.... You got a link for the helicoil???

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
heli-coils work ok, but they are more of a temporary fix. some people have gotten good mileage out of them but many have issues with them backing out and stripping out the already hogged out hole. i would invest in a timesert. timesert is just as if not more reliable as stock and is not hard to do, just more expensive.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Amazon.com: Time-Sert Ford Spark Plug Repair Kit 5553: Automotive

I used that one when mine went out on me nearly two years ago. Held the entire time. No issues with it. I don't use my kit anymore since I am putting a new engine in so I'd sell you mine for way less than what amazon wants, just PM me.

Edit: Just take your time using this kit. IT DOES WORK, like a F***ing charm. But to do it right you must take your time and just vacuum out the spark plug hole and if you can vacuum the cylinder as well (use a thin tube connected to the vacuum) Using a lot of grease on the taps helps as well. Don't want loose metal in the cylinder. I did it by myself. Took me a few hours but it worked like a charm and the car ran like new once I was done.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I have used the timesert kit to fix multiple blown out plugs on multiple vehicles. I have used helicoils for non vehicle related things and there is no way id use one for a spark plug on a car id prefer to keep. The timesert kit is a few more steps but is fairly easy and can be done within an afternoon.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy a new cylinder head than using a timesert.

I guess you could sell the tool when you're done because the actual part is only $12.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
i did the timesert on mine with no complaints and im boosted.

Reactions: Applehead281

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys, But for the amount the timesert is, I could start building a 306... I am seriously considering putting a pushrod engine in this car. I can build a 400 hp 306 for like 3 grand. It would be a lot of work to convert but in the long run I would save myself the headache of another plug blowout again. Reps to you all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts