Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I just changed the air filter (old one was filthy as hell) and now my car occasionally idles high. It normally idles right around 700-800 rpm but some times it will idle at 2000 rpm now. I've got the stock air intake (minus the snokle thing).

2. My front wheels rub the insides of the wheel well when I turn the steering wheel as far as it goes. The rims look stock so I'm not sure if this happens in all Mustangs or not.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
hmm the the car probably idlles high becuase the computers learn the strategies, and it is probably used to your old filter, or you may have a dirty maf sensor. And as far as the front wheels go, from your pic it does not look like stock wheels, that may be the problem, you could take a closer pic of your wheels.

·
Registered
356 Posts
yes, it does not appear that you have stock wheels as codeman said... Look at your tire size and post what the numbers say on it... it will have three numbers and a letter sch as 225 55 R16... Look to se what the first number is, because stock tires should not be rubbing

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Is the car lowered? I have 17" rims (not stock) with 275s on the front and they come very close to rubbing on the front.

So technically you should not rub unless your are lowered with 18" rims and a very larger tire (such as a 275).

·
Registered
52 Posts
, tire's to big
rims to big
lower to much....
dude u get new struts and cc plate?
if u lower it any more then 1.5" u will run into issue's

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
they look like stock gt wheels...which mean 245/45/17...might be time for a new suspension to fix any rubbing...or is it a solid bald section from alignment your confusing with rubbing....

as for the idle....clean your MAF...
He says its when he turns the wheel as far as it will go, it rubs... so I bet he means the tires is hitting something.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I'll clean the MAF when the weather clears up and tomorrow I'll get some good pics of the rims (fair warning, they're dirty) and check out what size the tires are. I would have gotten pics tonight but it's raining some asshole stole my usual parking spot so my car is sitting in the dark :(

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
it may not actually be rubbing... I know if mine turn all the way they make a noise that sounds like it's rubbing, and that was with stock 16" wheels...

put the front end up on jacks, have someone turn the wheel the whole way, and check it to see if it is...

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
More than likely it's just pump noise. Mine does it too and I have stock rims.

As for the high idle do not clean your MAF. Unhook the battery for 10 minutes or just keep driving the way it is. You'll reset the KAM either way.

The MAF has a protective coating of oil to keep it from getting dirt inside of it. When you clean it, it removes that layer and makes it more prone to failure.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
There's a little bit of a grinding noise but the vehicle gets jerky too
So, do you have a spot on the tires or in the wheel wells that leads you to think its rubbing? Or is it just the sound and/or the jerkyness?

The sound is the power steering pump. When you turn the wheel to it's limits the pumps make a whine noise.

The jerkyness would constitute more investigation. Have any suspension mods been done?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't personally made any mods to the car besides a new set of headlights and a new exhaust system (not headers though). I think when I have some time today I'll look the car over really well because it seems the previous owner may have tried to do a few things himself and he was far from handy with cars. I'll take a look for a possible spot where it would be rubbing when I look the car over later.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
You should be able to tell quickly if it is lowered or not... here is a comparison for you:

Not Lowered - Stock (rims are not stock)

Lowered - Non Stock (rims are not stock)

Just look at the wheel wells... if you can fit your whole hand between the tire and the fender then more than likely it is NOT lowered. Also look under the car at the springs and shocks/struts. If either or is a different color (blue, yellow, red, ect) then it is most likely lowered. HOWEVER... some lowering springs are black like the OEM ones... so even tho it may look like black oem springs, they might not be.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright I just got done with my little inspection. The car hasn't been lowered. The springs look to be OEM. I didn't really notice any spot where the tire would be rubbing so I'm going to go with the conclusion that it's the power steering pump. The tires are 235/35/17. I also got you guys a pic :)

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eh, I'm gonna have to wait until I move to lower it. The curb leaving the parking lot from my current apartment building if huge. I worry about ****ing something up already lol.

And I looked closer earlier and I found a spot that might be rubbing after all. I'll get a pic in the morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts