Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my gear oil last week, I removed shifter and poured (3.2 quarts) through top of transmission. I didnt spill any, installed new gasket. There is not a drop of oil on the ground or on the exhaust. I crawled under car----no oil any where including around shifter base on top of transmission. Cant smell oil under there or under hood and no smell of oil out of vents and no smell around shifter or boot, But going down the road there is an intermittent smell of gear oil that was not there before I changed oil----------Any Ideas?

Have a rattling in my doors when hitting bumps that is close to the door locks, seems like I have read about this complaint before, what is rattling inside there and what is the fix.

thanks for any help in advance.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Gear oil in the transmission? Even if its a manual transmission you are suppose to use automatic transmission fluid. Mercon (not Mercon V) is recommended. Mobile 1 is suppose to work well. Some like to use GM Synchromesh.

Gear oil has a distinct smell. Only the differential is suppose to have it. Did you check for leaks around the differential?

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Yeah what eagle said lol.

Gear oil is totally diff than trans fluid. And you change the gear oil by taking off the diff cover. What exactly did you do? I run full syn RP in the rear and RP synchromesh in the tranny.

The door rattle you'll need to remove the door panel and find out. Could be anything from loose wiring that disconnected from a plastic clip to anything else. Take it off and poke around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did say I removed the shifter and poured it into the TRANSMISSION. I used GM (AC Delco) synchromesh, it smells like a mild smelling gear oil.-------------No oil anywhere including the rear. I tell myself there has to be oil somewhere but there is not and this is a very low mileage car.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I did say I removed the shifter and poured it into the TRANSMISSION. I used GM (AC Delco) synchromesh, it smells like a mild smelling gear oil.-------------No oil anywhere including the rear. I tell myself there has to be oil somewhere but there is not and this is a very low mileage car.
You also said you changed your GEAR OIL by removing the shifter. We were correcting you in case you did screw up before you screwed anything further up.

Since that isn't the case you might have got a drop of it somewhere. Heck it might of got on your shirt and rubbed on the seat. Gear oil is extremely potent smelling similar to gas. Get a drop of has anywhere on you and it sticks around for a while.

The only thing i can think of besides what I stayed above, and I'm stretching it here, is if you used a gasket versus rtv on the shifter to trans it could be coming up thru there. Again this is a stretch as I've used a gasket in the past.

So did you change the gear oil in the diff AND flush the tranny fluid? If you did the rear gears what weight and fluid did you use? Ford said to use a certain fluid in the manual then switched it up. My manual says to use a lighter weight in the manual then there's a big metal tag on the diff that says full syn only at a heavier weight. Exact weight escapes me at the moment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, I havent cracked open the diff yet, but I will be changing gears soon so the diff oil will get changed.
There is no oil smell inside, outside or under car except intermittent smell going down road. guess all I can do is hope it fads away. I call any oil that goes into a trans or diff gear oil, I should have been more specific in my first post. Thanks for ideas and help on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts