Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting a 4.6 from a junkyard from somewhere for a complete engine build. I have the 2 valve 4.6 and want to build a 4 valve. From what I've researched it shouldn't be that big of a deal mechanically speaking. As this is my first Ford build (I'm used to my good 'ol turbocharged LT1's but this stang couldn't be passed up) I would appreciate any advice that anyone has regarding block and cylinder head compatiblity regarding years of manufacture.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It's a whole lot easier getting a junkyard 4v to begin with. Otherwise you need lots of small parts, and your compression ratio will be way low. Not to mention it'll be more expensive to take a 2v and put 4v heads on it than just get a 4v. Trust me, I crunched the numbers. It's only a couple extra hundred dollars for a 4v anyways, if that. Junkyard I went to was $450 whether it was 2v, 4v, PI or NPI.

B head 4v's:
Lincoln MkVIII, 96-98 Cobra

C head 4v's: (flow slightly better)
99/01 Cobra, Lincoln Aviator, Mercury Marauder, 03/04 Mach 1, 03/04 Cobra

Do NOT use a Continental engine. It's FWD and can be converted, but not worth the effort.

There's tons of tiny differences between them all, which I won't even bother to touch on. Find the Ford Modular wiki and read up.

Don't forget 3v's are also an option. I'm sure there will be a few guys advocating a 3v swap in no time anyways.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I would research the pros & cons of the swap first.

a 4v is more expensive to build than a 2v & it is still a swap, so you'll have to overcome some things however minor.

set a realistic power/et/etc. goal & work backwards from there.

if the goal is anything but 1000 hp plus or sub 8sec et's, stick with the 2v.

if your looking for 1000 + or just internet/cruise night bragging rights then go 4v.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
good timing.
I'm in the middle of researching the same. I'm leaning towards a 08ish low mile 3v.
I'm looking for a solid 310-315 at the wheels, n/a only.

Motors are plentiful, 05+ 3v's can be had for 1500 in good working order.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
good timing.
I'm in the middle of researching the same. I'm leaning towards a 08ish low mile 3v.

3v is a diffrent story. for a mild/stock n/a type swap, I'd say 3v no question.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
As a former 4v guy, I have built two engines and they aren't cheap. You can build an impressive 2v these days...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
good timing.

i wish i knew where you were looking cause the ones ive found are like 3k or more, at least in my area:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts