Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there, I'm pretty new at this but I really need some advice about my 2000 'stang..

Ive had the car for about 5 years now, apparently am in need of a new tranny but am unsure as to whether or not one from a 98 manual would be compatible or not?

Everything is stock in my vehicle except for exhaust, its a v6 manual 5 speed and when i check the door panel for the description under "TR" it reads:
'5 mmzz'
which ive been told is significant as to which tranny may or may not match up to the vehicle? As far as whether or not the 98 tranny will fit, i have had a hard time getting a straightforward answer! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thx for your time!! ;)

Please let me know if I need to post add'l info!!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I believe the tranny itself should work fine (T5 was the only manual transmission offered to 94-04 V6s). I'm pretty sure you'll need a clutch for the 99-00 models (unless your current one is relatively new, this is a great chance to change it) and you may need to reuse the bellhousing from your current transmission (not sure if they changed between the pre-99 and 99-04 models).

when i check the door panel for the description under "TR" it reads:
'5 mmzz'
The only part of this code that matters is the first number. The 5 indicates that the transmission is a T5 5-speed manual transmission. That's an easy call on most V6 Mustangs though because Ford has been putting the T5 in V6 Mustangs since 1979 I believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah! Thank you SO much for your help! My dad and I were a bit out of sorts with it all, I actually ran the tranny fluid out and burned my clutch and tranny up before we caught the leak.. So, replaced the clutch about 3 months ago! Were able to make the transmission work till we could find a good deal on a new one ( which we found for $150.00! ) Quite the steal! The car has almost 200k miles, and is goin' strong! She's a beaut!

Thanks again for your help, Mcqueen! :)

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Not a problem man. It should be a very straight forward swap since it will basically be the same transmission :yes And welcome to MM :welcome

·
Registered
662 Posts
i think you may need a different speed sensor too. i think the older t5s out of the 94-98 used a mechanical speed sensor.

·
Registered
662 Posts
and to answer your question silver, theres TKO T5's, the tremec 3650, and a few other ones too. the 3650 isnt really technically a T5 but they are very identical

·
Registered
978 Posts
WC t5 is newer and holds a bit more power - not much though

_

1 - 9 of 9 Posts