Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Since you can't use a termi motor, what about a 2000 cobra motor, still 4 valve 4.6, change internals and do the eaton swap like you would on a mach 1, and I've always read the 5.4 can't rev like the 4.6 can.
What? Newer motors can go into older cars, it's older motors and truck motors that are frowned upon.

His Mustang can be cali legal with any 2000+ MY passenger car motor.
His Mustang will be illegal with any 1999 and older passenger car or truck motor.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What? Newer motors can go into older cars, it's older motors and truck motors that are frowned upon.

His Mustang will be illegal with any 1999 and older passenger car or truck motor.
Anything not offered in that platform in that year must be recoded thru the smog referee, then you are an annual smog check vs every 2 years. I've called the CA state smog referee and that is what the law is. Yes you can put a newer motor in, but it becomes a hell of a lot if paperwork mumbo jumbo bs.

I can pull a truck motor from the same year as long as the displacement is the same, the year is the same, and it has all of the cars smog equip of that year, including cam(s).

Every car and truck has an expected emissions output level, and lets say trucks are ok with more than cars, and I put a truck motor in a car with all of its equip, my levels won't pass the sniffer for the cars expectations.

Sent from Uranus

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
A 5.4 using a stock intake manifold and cobra cams should get past the smog guys, will pass emissions and look stock while making a lot more power than a 4.6.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

He stated it has to be a 2000 motor NOT a 99 or 01-04, so I suggested the regular cobra instead of the R, a regular 4.6 cobra will be easyer to find then the 5.4, plus will be cheaper to build in the long run

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
I read somewhere last week where a guy used an intake manifold from a new 5.0 on an older 5.4. He had to do SMS drilling and filling but it worked. It's likely much cheaper to go that route than to find an actual cobra r engine.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
He stated it has to be a 2000 motor NOT a 99 or 01-04, so I suggested the regular cobra instead of the R, a regular 4.6 cobra will be easyer to find then the 5.4, plus will be cheaper to build in the long run
There is no 2000 Cobra from which and engine can be taken.

There is no way for the smog police to know the year of the engine. If it has C heads and a C head intake they will be clueless.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I read somewhere last week where a guy used an intake manifold from a new 5.0 on an older 5.4. He had to do SMS drilling and filling but it worked. It's likely much cheaper to go that route than to find an actual cobra r engine.
I started a thread on putting the new 5.0 intakes on 5.4s on corral and have also test fit the Boss intake on a 5.4 with both Navi and GT heads. As of now, two people have engines running with the new intakes. The performance potential of both is much better than that of the stock 5.4 and 4.6 offerings.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts