Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a long read, so the tl'dr is basically my broken Contour SVT isn't getting power.

I have been DDing a 2000 Contour SVT and recently it started making a ticking sound. I didn't have time to look into it and one day when I cranked it, it sort of just blew. Sounded horrible, like I suddenly had a loud knock and was bypassing the exhaust. I took it to a shop and they told me that I had blown a spark plug out and cracked a head, and that it would cost more to fix it than the car was worth. I reckoned that if it was just a head replacement I could do it over time. Much longer fix, but much cheaper. I drove it home on five cylinders and drove just fine, considering. I went back to bed (I work nigh shift, 8am was middle of night for me), and when I got up I decided to drive it to work (3 minutes away from where I live, at most), and take some pictures of the engine and send them to a friend of mine to see if it would be something he'd willing to help me with. Except nothing happened. I turn the key and get absolutely nothing. Not a fuel pump coming on, not a radio lighting up, not a thing. Zero power. Battery is hooked up fine. My question, is what to check now? Why might I not be getting any power from a car I just cranked up and drove a few hours earlier?

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your battery terminals for corrosion, and make sure no wires have come loose anywhere. A bad ground can have some weird symptoms.
No corrosion at all on the terminals. Can't find a single bad ground. Might check again for loose wires.

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know the battery is fine? Have you tried a different one or jumping it?
Both. I have a yellow top optima in the Contour, and not only did the battery out of my explorer not do anything in the Contour, the optima from the contour cranked the explorer right up. Jumping does nothing.

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking a weird coincidence. I reckon there's something going on with the ignition or something. I'll have to check tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I'll check the grounds and whatnot again. It's weird. And it comes at a bad time, when the car needs a head, haha.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Does it have no electrical power at all? if so, theres a relay under the hood that controls the computer and electrical components. I cant recall which one tho.

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does it have no electrical power at all? if so, theres a relay under the hood that controls the computer and electrical components. I cant recall which one tho.
I pulled them all out and put them back in and now it works. I have no idea what the hell happened there. The battery is low on charge, too, so I'm charging it now. I really don't know what the deal was. Now I just have to deal with the cracked head... I hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts