Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in September I droped in a fresh 5.4L into my 2000 GT. It only had 10,300 miles on it then and i have put about 1k on it so far. Its still running great. I have upgraded a few things since the engine swap.

1. Bassani X-Pipe - Installed
2. 18" Saleen Stye Rims and Tires - Installed
3. VT Stage I Cams - Purchased but Not Installed
4. Lowering Springs - Researching

So Here are a few pics and links to our site where we have taken many pics of the 5.4 project. I even have a complete parts list and diagrams if anyone is interested in doing a 4.6 to 5.4 swap. Believe me I have just about all of the info you will need :D. The car is extremely dirty in the pics below but as soon as i can get a break in the weather i will be taking some new ones :)

Mustang 418...Smokin' LS1's in 2006!

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
oh my God that thing sounds nasty! great job on one hell of a sleeper. she looks stock from the outside, but that lope gives a little something away!

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
sweet, can't wait to hear it...

·
Registered
856 Posts
that's pretty awesome man. how much did all the parts cost you and how would you go about the swap? just dropping in a 5.4 or converting the 4.6?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock headers for now.... I think shorties would be the only type that would work. There just isn't room :)

Basically the first thing you want to do if you are thinking about doing the swap is you will need to find a 5.4L. Mine is out of a 2003 F-150. It only had 10,300 miles on it. It was a rental and they wrecked it. I got if off of ebay but the company was in BFE, Pennsylvania.

Next you will need to use a good number of parts from your 4.6 like oil inlet tube, oil pan, intake adapter plates(have to purchase), intake and a few other misc parts. You can use an after market intake i think typhoon makes one but haven't read much about it. However if you want it to fit under the stock hood you will need the intake adapter plates and the stock intake. Let me know if anyone needs more information and i would be glad to provide :D

·
Registered
991 Posts
nice man DONT TOUCH THAT BODY!!!!

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
reichard has them and so does cool blue performance. i thought about the swap, but i dont think i will be doing it. i have heard that guys are able to modify their long tubes to work, but not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If you're gonna do a 5.4 swap get the entire engine and i recommend HPS hardballr 5.4 intake... Im actually prepping to do the swap myself... Im just still getting all the parts together so i can knock it out without waiting for packages.:cool:

If you're really intersted you can PM me and i'll send you in the right direction. Also Redneck helped me with much of the information i needed concerning the swap. You might want to speak with him as well as he's already done the swap.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
hey on your 5.4 did you have to change the wiring harness and everything because i have a friend that will sell me his out ouf his truck for 1000 bucks..lol... hell ya

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
havent had it dynoed yet...thats coming this spring. What year is the 5.4L? You can use the same wiring harness and even stock computer. It will run on the stock computer but not real great. I fired mine up on the stock computer and drove it over 140 miles... no problems... I had the guy at the dyno program me a stock 5.4 tune and it runs much better. I am having it tuned and dynoed in the spring after i install the VT Stage 1 cams.

I will tell you this compared to the 4.6 even stock.... its much funner to drive around town... without cams you loose alot after 4,000 grand... but the bottom end torque is just sweet. The cams should help out the top end.

Other than grinding down the notch on the headers its pretty much just dropps in. You will need the intake adapter plates if you want it to fit under the stock hood. You will need the oil pan, oil inlet tube, and a few other misc parts from your 4.6 to make it work but the wiring harness just plugs right in. No need to even lengthen the wires.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
+1 weiser

The 5.4 doesn't need another computer...It'll just need a tune.. Based on what i've read and from what i've been told, it doesn't make huge increases in power although it is noticeable. WHat it does do, is make a considerable increase in torque. Im sure 49 extra cubes sounds a nicer as well..:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts