Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice build! Love that you're doing it in a parking garage that's something i'd end up doing lol.
Thanks! I wasn't going to let the parking garage hold me back from my project Lol :swordfight:

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Got some more parts I needed and made a little more progress. I still need to order more parts (imagine that). Intercooler has been mounted to my bumper support but will add a couple more brackets to the bottom of the intercooler to help it from swinging around. Got most of my piping test fitted and should only have to cut 1 pipe.

The Treadstone BOV pipe and upper radiator hose extension pipe. I had to file down the Treadstone BOV pipe in order for the V-Band clamp to tighten down. That pissed me off a little bit because I was expecting perfect fitment without any modifying.

The Tial Q 50mm is HUGE.

I drilled three holes through the angled metal shim my Dad found for me. I also drilled entirely through the bumper support and put bolts in the front so the nuts could clamp it in place from the back of the bumper support.

The intercooler sits forward just enough to clear for the mounting bolts that go through the bumper support. This should also allow any air to escape the top most portion of the cooling passages in the intercooler.

On the car...

The hot side (blower to intercooler) piping test fitted. I was surprised I didn't have to cut anything so far.

Treadstone BOV pipe has been filed down and turned upside down. The Tial Q BOV will face down and a tiny bit towards the engine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just ordered a VMP HPX Slot Style MAF housing and sensor with the plug n play harness. I knocked a couple of the final spendy parts off my list of things to buy. Pretty soon I will have the new-found air routed to the TB.

Here are the parts that remain:
-DIY Power Pipe
-Fuel Pump (Will likely need a BAP)
-60lb Injectors
-Need a fuel pressure and wideband guage (Have a boost guage already)

I will order up a DIY powerpipe when siliconeintakes.com has some reducer couplers back in stock. I was contemplating the use of the left-over intercooler piping (3") for the powerpipe but assume this won't help at all?? Anyone have anything to say about this?

As for the Fuel Pump, I am still up in the air about which pump to use. I hate to run out of fuel at the dyno. Anyone have a suggestion for a fuel pump that will support 415 +/- rwhp?? I don't know what the car will make but people seem to think the car will make more than my previously desired estimate of 370-380rwhp.

I will probably be getting Siemens Deka EV6's for the car when I save another $1,000 to blow on a fuel system package. In the meantime, I will be tinkering with wiring, vacuum lines, gauges, etc.

I really want to get this thing done! I called and tried setting up my dyno day for early April at DB Performace. They should be calling me back today at some point with more info!

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
Should be fine with a walbro 255 and some 42lb + injectors. I would get bigger injectors than you need so you will be good for future hp goals. On my 95gt I made 420rwhp and 500rwtq with a 255 and 60lb injectors. Stock rail stock everything else.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Should be fine with a walbro 255 and some 42lb + injectors. I would get bigger injectors than you need so you will be good for future hp goals. On my 95gt I made 420rwhp and 500rwtq with a 255 and 60lb injectors. Stock rail stock everything else.
Thanks for that response 98SnakeHorse. Reps for you. I figured the same for the injectors. 60 pounders should keep me covered for the next step up in power when I am ready (or not ready haha):whackylol:

Wow! I just looked at prices for the Walbro 255 and that is not nearly as expensive as I thought. Would it be worth stepping up to a 320lph or 340lph of some other brand just to have extra cushion and less duty cycle? I am curious to know about the quality of these pumps and how it might be related to its performance and fitment. Does the Walbro drop right in for easy fitment?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Ford Mustang GT 4.6L 255 LPH Fuel Pump - Walbro - TREperformance.com

According to this ^ it doesn't say it fits directly into the 99-04 GT Tanks. I don't mind modifying but it would be nice to not have to. Maybe I need to research this issue more than I have prior to asking these questions. I remember being set on a 340lph Division X Stryker but thought it was known for some problems. Grrr decision, decisions.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Just did a little digging... Found this thread below...

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/405153-fuel-pump-choice-help.html

80% Duty Cycle without a BAP does not sound all that bad. 98SankeHorse, do you know what your duty cycle was on that 255??

I really should just spend the extra and get a bigger pump. I can't imagine anyone arguing with that decision unless the pump was known to be junk. Besides, if I have to modify inside the tank to get the pump to fit for a 255, I might as well stick a bigger one in there lol

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry man should have sent you some links. The 98 up fuel pump hats require a different setup than the 95gt. You being returnless and the 94-95 being return style. Check out this link it is a direct drop in for you fuel tank and flows 290 liters per hour against 43 psi.

Walbro TU228HP High Performance Fuel Pump for 99-00 Ford Mustang from Fuel-Pumps.net
No problem. Your input and experience was enough to help me out! Thanks for the link! That pump kit would be super easy to swap in. I will definately consider that option too. I will probably order my pump and injectors either next week or in 3 weeks. I have spent a lot of money on my car and christmas in the last couple months. I think my wallet is getting a little skinny lol

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sub'd in! Nice progress man. I plan on installing a Vortech on my 02 GT as well. I see a couple different intercooler set ups on CXRacing. If you have a minute do you think you can post the link to the one you got?

·
Registered
982 Posts
"I would assume it's to keep you from pumping fuel out of the basket faster than it can refill."

This is correct the pump can drain the basket in only a few seconds at WOT. 98snake im not sure why nobody answered your question about this being the same on your vehicle. Truth is im not sure if your returnless I would think it would be very similar with a few small changes to how the tank mounts up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I called my tuner and he recommended a DeatschWerks fuel pump. It is similar to a Walbro 255lph but if flows better. They make a 255lph 265lph and a 340lph.. I will probably get the 340lph and call it a day. I have no experience with the fuel pump yet but I am sure I will be doing some research and modifying my basket and what not as others have done.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Sub'd in! Nice progress man. I plan on installing a Vortech on my 02 GT as well. I see a couple different intercooler set ups on CXRacing. If you have a minute do you think you can post the link to the one you got?
Sure no problem... Below is the link.

Cxracing 29 034 Intercooler 3 034 Turbo Piping Kit Mustang Civic Celica Jetta | eBay

It is not the biggest intercooler they offer but I believe it will still do me well. Good luck with your build! I am at a stopping point due to other life events and waiting on parts. Most of what I need at this point is on backorder :(

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Here is one reason why I don't get to work on my car as much as I would like. My girlfriend is in culinary school and has awesome dinner ideas. The problem is that those meals don't cook as fast as Ramen Noodles LOL I like to help her sometimes and try to take mental notes of her creative foods. Just so everyone knows, that dinner was amazing...

Here you can see the black Sharpie mark on the inner fender in the left of the picture. That metal chunk has since been cut out thanks to my Dad bringing his generator over and a plug in skil saw

This is a very nice piece IMO. Expensive, but nice. I have to do some modifying to splice in my IAT wires since it is separate (Pre-2001 Mustang GT's have a separate IAT sensor from the MAF sensor).

Here I have a view of the Styrofoam from the back side. I cut it out so the intercooler fits in between the outside edges of the Styrafoam. I also cut out a notch along the bottom to allow air to enter the higher portion of the intercooler.

Angle from above...

I picked up some 6mm vacuum hose from Napa. BOV shot right open when I test fired the car.

That is my update for now. Wish I could show you all more. In the meantime, I have been researching and actually had a very good conversation on the phone with Bodyshot about our setups. I also got an appointment to have the car tuned on April 3rd this spring when the car comes out. Hope I can get the rest done by then!

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
"I would assume it's to keep you from pumping fuel out of the basket faster than it can refill."

This is correct the pump can drain the basket in only a few seconds at WOT. 98snake im not sure why nobody answered your question about this being the same on your vehicle. Truth is im not sure if your returnless I would think it would be very similar with a few small changes to how the tank mounts up.
I not returnless I'm return, The 98gt has the bastard fuel setup with the same pump hat as 99+ but with and extre line on the top for returning fuel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got a few more pictures to share with you all.

Here is the cold side intercooler piping on the passengers side of the car.

I put some weather-stripping along the area where the piping might touch. I may add more. I got like 25' of it at Lowe's for like $7

This is to show that I will only need to measure and cut the final pipe going into the Throttle Body. I will likely need to cut and weld a bung for the IAC and possibly another for my IAT sensor. I have had help finding a potential alternative in order to integrate my IAT sensor to my MAF sensor. We will see later on this week (thanks again Bodyshot)...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey man looks nice and clean thus far. Just to be clear for my own sake, that pretty BOV is on the hot side right? Between the supercharger itself and the IC?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hammer925.. thanks! And you are correct. The BOV will be mounted on the pipe immediately after the head unit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh ok cool. I've seen guys place their BOV after their IC, but I like your setup better and that's how I plan to run mine too. That Tial is beauty, can't wait to hear it

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
subbed! similar to what i am doing, except i decided to wait until it gets warmer to start mine.
I will have to look into your build as you go. I would have done mine later but I bought my setup sooner than I had anticipated and ended up doing it in my underground parking garage at my apartment haha

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oh ok cool. I've seen guys place their BOV after their IC, but I like your setup better and that's how I plan to run mine too. That Tial is beauty, can't wait to hear it
Yeah... I believe you will have better response from the BOV pre intercooler.The Tial Q is ginormous!!! I can't wait til I hear that loud whoosh of air upon fire up. I am so close but so far away to being done with this build

21 - 40 of 191 Posts