Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like a common problem, but with many different opinions. My car thumps sometimes when shifting gears (from tranny). It doesn't do it all the time, and it seems like gears 1-3 are the worst when it does clunk. Sometimes at a stop light, just depressing the clutch it will clunk (from the rear-end). But sometimes it doesn't. There is no consistency with the clunk, and it seems like the only driving style the lessens the clunk is winding out the gears more (atleast to 3000) and depressing the clutch slower when shifting.

The car runs very strong, although I'm unsure about any tranny/differential maintenance that may/may not have been done recently (bought the car 1 month ago). Any ideas on how to cut down on this clunk in the trunk?

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Check that your bolts where the driveshaft meets the rear axle are tight. If they are, it may be time to replace your u-joints.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I'd also check for excessive backlash at the rear axle, deteriorated engine and transmission mounts, and the rear axle control arm bushings.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If the clunk comes from the rear of the car when you pull off from a traffic light right when the weight shifts or when you go over a bump and such then there's a good chance its control arm bushings.

Bad part about that is there's no way to inspect the part without a control arm off. You can't just look under there and go, "Oh yea, it does look worn out..."

I had the clunk when I pulled from a stop and went over speed bumps. I replaced mine with Prothane bushings and haven't had a problem since.

Best of luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts