Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this is normal for most mustangs like mine with stock trans

So no matter what rpm I'm at my stang always shift into 2nd gear when I'm at about 15mph.

i tried hard takeoffs and different rpms and it always shifts into 2nd gear at 15mph.

I wish it would shift into 2nd gear so soon.

It does gives a nice crisp hard shift into 2nd but the other gears is kind of sluggish.

I dont know when the last time a trans flush was performed because i just bought the car.

is this normal for my type of stang?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
The rpm at 15 MPH shouldn't really vary, but no it isn't normal for the transmission to shift to second gear at 15 MPH no matter the throttle position (it should shift much later at WOT than at part throttle). Has anyone messed with the tune on the car?

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
yeah thats odd. norrmal with WOT, the shuldnt shift into second unilt like 25 MPH. do you have a tuner or know if the previous owner had a tunner? Cause somthing is i bit weird there. Do all other shift points seem normal?

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think it was tuned. everything looks original to me..

Uhm the other gears shift normal to me I guess then again i dont know what is normal.

The higher gears have been sluggish lately but even before they were sluggish the 1st to 2nd gear still was at about 15 mph.

when it shifts from 1st to 2nd its a quick crisp firm shift

·
Registered
461 Posts
Buy a tuner off AM and thank us later.

The Tuner makes a huge difference you wouldn't think so in a small device but it changes so much its well worth the money.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Buy a tuner off AM and thank us later.

The Tuner makes a huge difference you wouldn't think so in a small device but it changes so much its well worth the money.
Lets figure out the problem first before we start changing the car even more

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I went out and retest.

it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear when I drive lightly off takeout.

when pushing the pedal further off takeout when its at 2000 rpm it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at 20 mph or 22 mph or so

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Ok I went out and retest.

it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear when I drive lightly off takeout.

when pushing the pedal further off takeout when its at 2000 rpm it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at 20 mph or 22 mph or so
Then that's normal. If you go WOT then it should shift at redline (5250 rpm)

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
? Rpms are the same at 15 mph... So everything is normal then.
No, when he posted before my post and said it shifted at 20-22 with more acceleration then normal I was under the impression the rpm went higher than 2k just because he said they didn't hang.

But if it did hang at 2k until 22 mph he has a problem obviously. I know this is frowned upon here but personally I would "manually shift" the car under light acceleration to see if the tranny will even go past 2k rpm in 1st gear. It would eliminate the possibility of the previous owner putting a bad tune on the car and make him look at only the tranny.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ no what I'm saying is I didn't mash the pedal because I was on a city street but I did kind of gave it some heaving gas.

I got it up to 2k rpm then it shifted into 2nd at 22 mph or so.

Maybe I will do a wot and see when it shifts but I baby my stang. And kind of scared to do a wot . Lol

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea so I did give itore accerlation them normal at takeout and when I hit about 2k it shifted and the mph was at 22

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Give it full throttle and see when it shifts. It should be quite a bit later than 2k.

It's an almost stock V6, no need to be scared.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts