Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

My car has been swaying on the highway when i get up over 55mph. It also sways a lot on regular roads if the pavement is uneven. The car did this when I first bought it.

I recently put on new tires/balance/alignment. However, it is still doing it. I took it to my mechanic and he looked it all over, and took it for a drive, and said the suspension and joints are fine. The tires are all torqued properly and there is no issue at all when turning or doing anything else. Any ideas what may be causing the sway? Thanks.

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Inner tie rod's ball joints where it meets the gear box may be worn. Is there any play in your steering?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there is some play in the steering. I notice when the car starts swaying, that the steering wheel with turn back and forth slightly. It also does not sway as bad when i hold the wheel with 2 hands and put a little pressure on it. When on a flat road, i can let go of the steering and it goes straight as an arrow.

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Then consider replacing your inner and outer tie rods on each side.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I agree that it could be the inner tie rods, however your mechanic and whoever did the alignment both should have noticed play in them. They should have also checked for play in the front wheel bearings, so you might want to doublecheck those as well.

·
Commoner
352 Posts
are you lowered alot? mines lowered with no isos and sways like crazy.. very bad bumpsteer

·
Registered
234 Posts
^^^+1 on tie rods and checking wheel bearings. but I must ask, Is it making any popping noises when you steer or brake?
Also, at a dead stop car not running, how much play is in the steering wheel? should have some, but not alot.
If they say everything is tight, to me it sounds like toe is still out, feel for ridges in inner tread of front tires. If it's that bad you should be able to see a distinct wear pattern on the tread.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I'm with tie rods, I would maybe suggest to replace the entire steering rack with reman. unit. That way inner and outter tie rods and the bushings will be new. Send your factory piece in for core refund.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts