Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost all of the necessary parts for the swap. Then as I was looking to buy a replacement Master Cylinder for the hydro boost I got from the junkyard and I realized that I do not have ABS brakes on my car. This is fine since the Master cylinder was from a Roush Gt without ABS.
My research says that all Mach 1's had ABS. Is there any reason why my Mach 1 computer would have any problems or throw a code if there is not any ABS system present? I am planning on passing CA smog. ( I had an 99 Audi that failed due to CANBUS issues due to a bad ABS). I have a 2000 cluster to install also.
If I decided to install ABS, what harness's would I need? I know the abs sensors at the rear plug in under the rear seat.

Also, I pulled my rear-end from a 2000 with ABS. It has the sensors and rings. Can I just remove these if I decide not to run abs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I put ABS in my 86 Fox, but that was using a 94-96 system which is stand alone. The later cars integrated TC/stability controls and ABS with the ECU to control all those functions. I believe that later systems can also be used stand alone without TC etc. But for some interesting reading, check these out: Detailed instructions for installing, testing 1994/1995 ABS on the FFR | Factory Five Racing Forum (ffcars.com) ; Repost of "Ford Racing ABS Installation" - American Iron Racing - #DRIVENASA Community .

As for the ABS tone rings they can stay without being hooked up. They won't do anything nor hurt performance. However, your front spindle hubs probably don't have the tone rings so you'll likely need to purchase new hubs if you want ABS- all replacements now come with tone rings. The sensors have wiring pig-tails that you might want to keep off the car until you hook everything up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I was just looking at a diagram on cardiagn. I could see that there is a blue/wht wire from the ABS module to the computer. And the data link connector ties them together with the cluster. I also ordered a Ford diagram book to help.

So I guess I will be adding ABS with TC. I went to the junkyard and could see that the harness I need is the fuse block harness and the dash harness, and maybe even the body harness. Also hubs and sensors. Now I just need to figure out if a GT harness will work or if I should spend big for a Mach 1 harness.

I just searched for a Mach 1 ABs and it uses the Cobra module. It only says Cobra so I assume TC.

I have read that ABS can be tuned out of the computer, but that won't pass smog either. I bet a dealer could turn it off legitimately, but I don't know. (I recently had the dealer turn on my cruise control after I added sw. on my 04 F150, but I think that is a smarter computer.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts