Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i got a 2001 cobra. Very nice car inside and out. only 39k miles on it. Got a good deal on it. The place i got it from said it had an idling issue. So I bought it and they said they would fix it. well they have been tossing parts at this thing and it still runs goofy. It hasnt cost me money yet, but at this point i will put money in it to get it running right. It will idle fine and then just drop off and die. it will do this even more when the a/c is on. sometimes it will go for hours running great, then run like hell, and start dieing at stop lights. The MAF has been swaped to a new one, cleared up most of the sputter. IAC was changed, i checked out the old one it really wasnt bad lookin inside. what else can this be, the car is bone stock down to a motorcraft airfilter. i dont want to put any aftermarket parts on it untill i know the idle issue is gone. it also seams to ping bad at high rpm. thanks for the help

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
throw any codes? reset the computer maybe? try some small stuff before you start troubleshooting too much.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Check all vacuum lines, I'd look over all the electrical connections, and seafoaming it certainly won't hurt (though admittedly I don't think it'll fix the particular issue you're having).

·
Registered
169 Posts
vacum or tps sensor is my guess.
i was gonna say tps but it would really help to know if its throwing any codes,if you just had it worked on you need to go through the drive cycles to get the codes to come back drive it and then pull the codes at autozone or wherever then post them here.

do you hear any hissing noises? if it were a vacuum leak bad enough to make it die i would think you would hear it easily,also a vacuum leak wouldnt be intermittent like he is saying i wouldnt think anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i went down to shucks/checkers and used their scan tool. no codes, no check engine light. everything under the hood is super clean, and vac hose look perfect no cracks, checked for leaks. the car sat around alot, only haveing 39k miles, looks like the guy who had it before me(im the second actual owner)never even drove it in the rain, so it really not all gunked up with crap and caked on oil to hide stuff. the old MAF we tested that, the old one had voltage all over the place so that was needed. i want to pull the plugs and check them, and change the fuel filter. can the tps be checked with a DMM? i just dont get why its intermitant. and it pings and spuders some times mostly when im getting on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
well the ping is detonation so it very well could be a fuel problem,if it sat for awhile it couldve had some water in the tank? try a fuel stabilizer and a fuel filter. there may not be any codes because whoever worked on it cleared the dtc's,some fords take up to 100 miles of driving to go through a drive cycle to reproduce a code,go drive it around town and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
you can check the voltage on your TPS with a DMM. it should be with in .96-1.0 on the referenece wire IIRC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got the bbk long tube headers and bbk h pipe with cats, which cat back kit sounds good on the bbk system? and has anyone used the kenne bell supercharger for the 2001 cobra? does it work well? any problems? or is a eaton swap really worth it?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
the KB will blow that eaton out of the water. as far as cat backs go, i like magnaflow's, mac, and slp II's or powerflo's.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
probably changing the fuel filter will help a ton. Then check all the injectors and plugs. Just because it's clean doesnt mean a hose isn't leaking either.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check your battery and your alternator. Also make sure your battery terminals are nice and tight. You'd be surprised how much hell just a battery can play with how a car runs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey has anyone installed the kenne bell on there 99/01 and have pics of the install on here? also who has done a set of crower cams? are they worth the money?

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
what the hell happened to trying to fix your car? You might want to get a tuner to datalog whats going on. Are you sure it's 100% stock?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im in the army and deployed to Iraq. I was working on it when i was home on leave. But now i wont be back to finish it for 4 months. but i am ordering parts online. I wana have everything ready when i get home. so i can have it done by summer time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i have been doing research on an eaton swap vs. the kenne bell non-intercooled. looks like i would be out the same amount of money and in the long run the kenne bell is a better buy. I'm gonna order the kenne bell kit and go from there. I want to do cams also but really does the hp gain from a set of cam really offset the cost of the cams and the labor to install them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts