Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on drifting my 2001 mustang GT i want to show not only ricers can drift but i need a good set of coilovers for my car and any other advice people can give me i know about drift cars but not a mustang i know it has the power but what else do i need??? p.s Im not Rich

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would say lots of worn out tires, sets of rims and seat time are much more important than coilovers. This is from my very minimal drift event attempts. :(

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would say lots of worn out tires, sets of rims and seat time are much more important than coilovers. This is from my very minimal drift event attempts. :(
I agree. You need the driver mod, not coilovers. The car can already drift quite easily.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Agreed in being easy to drift in a mustang. But if your looking for mods:

A good LSD (no one wheel peels)
Good tires (you actually don't want bald tires)
Lower the car and keep it stiff

That should get you started

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Solid axles don't like going sideways over a long period of time, you'll start to eat bearings up, unless you have a badass suspension set-up that takes the binding load off the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
When I was kid, it looked the General Lee did a lot drifting on the Dukes of Hazzard...lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will be putting it away for the winter and want to do a little to it so that's why i asked and is there any good coilovers anyone can recommend that are around like 700 if possible

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I recommend starting on completely bald tires and get the hang of countersteer. For me the feeling of the rear end coming around just felt wrong.

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,398 Posts
The guys over at Club Loose had an SN95 that they drifted. Thing was dope!!

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Go get a rwd car/truck beater and go practice in the snow.

Then, try it to the Mustang on rain. Then try it on dry pavement. As you gain confidence, you'll be able to go into turns at higher speeds and have control of the rear end. Your car has **** suspension from the factory so I wouldn't try going too fast on stock suspension.

Also, in your alignment, max your caster out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do an IRS swap. If you really want coilovers, MM or Strange with a nice set of shocks and struts.

I love this Cobra.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive drifted in other cars that's not the hard part i need to know good parts and brands to get for a mustang. my brother has a 240 i play with but im not a big fan of the ricers

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Ive drifted in other cars that's not the hard part i need to know good parts and brands to get for a mustang. my brother has a 240 i play with but im not a big fan of the ricers

Haha I had to

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
784 Posts
spool 33 spline axles and 9" ford ends so that you have a regualar ball bearing and then i would say dual rear hydraulic calipers and a hydraunlic hand brake and your all set

·
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
5,051 Posts
Drifting requires EXTREMELYYYYYYYYYYYY STIFF rear springs. SUPER ****ing stiff. Your rear end will go sideways SO easily. Stiffer rear springs provide for much heavier oversteer which makes drifting and getting the rear end loose very easy. If you get coilovers, you need to make sure you can order your own springs and make sure they are stiff as ****. You need to make sure the struts can handle the dampening though. For 700 you won't get anything.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Drifting requires EXTREMELYYYYYYYYYYYY STIFF rear springs. SUPER ****ing stiff. Your rear end will go sideways SO easily. Stiffer rear springs provide for much heavier oversteer which makes drifting and getting the rear end loose very easy. If you get coilovers, you need to make sure you can order your own springs and make sure they are stiff as ****. You need to make sure the struts can handle the dampening though. For 700 you won't get anything.

Van Den Brinks rear end set-up.

:baller:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts