Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 F150 5.4, and I started getting the common misfire. I had a friend of mine scan it, and number 8 was the only cylinder misfiring. I went to replace the COP, and the plug, and when I pulled the plug out, I noticed it had what smelled like antifreeze all over it. It had leaked down from the top, because the plug socket was covered, as well, as the top of the plug. The liquid was dark and oily, but didn't seem to actually be motor oil, and smelled like antifreeze. I'm assuming it has just sat down there and became dirty.

I replaced the COP and plug, and it almost immediately started having the same misfire, as I expected it would. I started looking around, and I've found a few small traces of antifreeze near the front of the intake. It doesn't appear to be coming from the radiator hose on that side, although there is a little just aft of where the hose connects to the intake. It's so hard to see anything, that I can't tell exactly where it is coming from, but I assume the intake gasket is leaking, and the water is working it's way down into the COP, and causing my misfires. It's getting pretty bad too. It's really gotten bad over the weekend, and I really don't want to drive it anymore.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen anything similar, and if there's something I should look for before I tear into the top of it to replace the intake gaskets? Something that I may be overlooking? Thanks in advance.

·