Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car has been having trouble starting, especially in the cold (the lowest it really gets is ~30 degrees though, and I'm not 100% sure that this is a contributing factor).

The sound it makes is very similar to this video that I came across:
01 Mustang GT not starting - YouTube-

This problem has come on slowly, and when it arose a few weeks ago, I was able to get it to start by prepping the fuel pump a few extra times (i.e. putting in the key, turning to the on position, removing key, repeat) before starting it. However, now that is not even working.

I've checked all the fuses under the hood and under the steering wheel.

There was some corrosion on the battery terminals and I removed most of it, but I don't have any baking soda, so I will need to remove the rest tomorrow.

When the interior lights are on and I start it, they flicker, leading me to think that it was the battery (which is pretty new). However, I tried to jumpstart the car to no avail, and the lights flickered even when trying to start and hooked up to the other car.

The interior lights also flicker when using other things like trying to open or close the windows.

Any thoughts, next steps, or ideas on tests to run?

All help is greatly appreciated, I really would like to make it home for Christmas!

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Can you still hear the fuel pump priming? What are your CCA's? CHeck you battery connections. When something like that happened to me, the neg cable was loose.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you still hear the fuel pump priming?
Yes

What are your CCA's?
Not sure, how can I check them?

CHeck you battery connections. When something like that happened to me, the neg cable was loose.
I tightened them as much as possible, but like I said, there is still corrosion on the positive side that I will clean off in the morning.

Has fuel pump or filter been changed???
Not recently, is there a way to test for either being the issue?

·
just another slow gt.....
245 Posts
My car did the same thing, it turned out to be the fuel pump. One day the car died at a busy intersection & wouldn't turn back on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Do all of your gauges sweep when you turn the ignition on?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer previous questions:

The CCA listed on my battery is at 0 degrees.
The fuel pump does sound like it is priming to me

I cleaned the battery terminals and tightened them as much as possible with no success.

I went ahead and recorded a video of the dash, sound, and lights flickering when I start it:

Does that shed any light on the cause? Is there any way to test if the issue is the fuel pump?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
there is definatley enough battery power there to start the car have you checked to ensure your getting fuel? if not then its a fel issue. If yo are getting fuel i would look at the Crank/cam Position sensor.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is definatley enough battery power there to start the car have you checked to ensure your getting fuel? if not then its a fel issue. If yo are getting fuel i would look at the Crank/cam Position sensor.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how can I check if it's getting fuel?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
There is a couple different ways You can check the Schrader valve on top of the fuel rail by adapting gauge to it, OR I have taken a rag and a screw driver and pushed in on the Valve to see if it is pressurized. If you dont have access to any of that yo can take one fuel rail loose and see if it sprays out of the injectors, There are many ways to do this. I wonder if yor Fuel rail pressure sensor is working?

·
Registered
741 Posts
You can look on the pass side fuel rail and see a shrader valve. Unscrew the cap and push down on the little needle. Like a tire needle and fuel should come out of it. I had a problem with my PATS system and you could use the key fob to lock and unlock the doors and then the car would start. That lasted about 1 week before the PATS went completely bad. If you don't hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on postion. Either your pump is bad or check the emergency fuel cut-off swith in the truck on the driver side to make sure it didn't trip..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can look on the pass side fuel rail and see a shrader valve. Unscrew the cap and push down on the little needle. Like a tire needle and fuel should come out of it. I had a problem with my PATS system and you could use the key fob to lock and unlock the doors and then the car would start. That lasted about 1 week before the PATS went completely bad. If you don't hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on postion. Either your pump is bad or check the emergency fuel cut-off swith in the truck on the driver side to make sure it didn't trip..
I pushed down on the valve on the passenger side fuel rail and fuel did come out.

Tried the car key in the door to disable PATS, but still not working.

The fuel cut off switch was not reset either.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Def not the battery, I didn't know the car was turning over. Have you disconnected the battery at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do all of your gauges sweep when you turn the ignition on?
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I noticed this response and this happens to my car every time I start it and I have to prime the fuel pump by turning the key to the on position and off a few times to get the car to start without me having to give it gas for a few seconds.
SSG pat, what does this mean?

Thank you

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
I know some cars have to prime a few times when the pprv is deleted. But seeing how your stock that shouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you remove the terminals and clean them( Inside)and the battery posts with a post cleaner or sand paper? new or not it appears the battery is bad if terminals are clean
From the video I posted, the battery is the issue?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts