Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is giving trouble and the theft light is blinking rapidly !! Ran fine one day then all of a sudden neither of my 3 keys work, it just turns over but doesn't start !! When I plug in my code scanner it's not getting a reading from the pcm so it just goes back to the home screen !! Someone please help me out lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Let the light blink for awhile. It will start to blink a code. Count the number of blinks, then there will be a pause, another set of blinks, a long pause, then it will repeat.

Chances are you'll get a 6-1 or 1-6, I forget which order it is, but it means no communication with the ECM, which would also explain not connecting to the OBD code reader. If that's the case, start with checking fuses, and then the relay (contained in the CCRM.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let the light blink for awhile. It will start to blink a code. Count the number of blinks, then there will be a pause, another set of blinks, a long pause, then it will repeat.

Chances are you'll get a 6-1 or 1-6, I forget which order it is, but it means no communication with the ECM, which would also explain not connecting to the OBD code reader. If that's the case, start with checking fuses, and then the relay (contained in the CCRM.)
How do I check the relays ? I checked all the fuses and they all are good !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find out the code first. No sense in running on a wild goose chase if power isn't the problem. It could be a multitude of things, and the code will point you in the right direction to start.
I can't get a code that's the thing

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Find out the code first. No sense in running on a wild goose chase if power isn't the problem. It could be a multitude of things, and the code will point you in the right direction to start.
The self diagnostic test on the odometer throws a d262 tho

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It should blink to give you a pattern.

The D262 indicates a communication error, which can cause the no-start condition and PATS being active.

Now for the fuses, did you check both the interior fuses pertaining to the PCM and CCRM, as well as the engine bay fuses pertaining to the CCRM?

Beyond that I would check for power and ground at the PCM, located behind the passenger side kick panel. It looks like ground is on pin 103 (BK/WH), and power is on 71 and 97 (RD). Pinout here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should blink to give you a pattern.

The D262 indicates a communication error, which can cause the no-start condition and PATS being active.

Now for the fuses, did you check both the interior fuses pertaining to the PCM and CCRM, as well as the engine bay fuses pertaining to the CCRM?

Beyond that I would check for power and ground at the PCM, located behind the passenger side kick panel. It looks like ground is on pin 103 (BK/WH), and power is on 71 and 97 (RD). Pinout here
I pulled all of the fuses out under the hood and under the dash !! I'm going to double check with a test light hopefully tomorrow!! I never messed with any of this so it's kind of intimidating lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are fuses that have no power at all even with the key on !!Any ideas ?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Unfortunately my old copy of the service manual complete with wiring diagrams doesn't play nice with Win10 and doesn't display the wiring diagrams.

What notes I did find it does look like at least a few of those fuses are marked as "hot in start or run." It doesn't look like those fuses get power through the one engine bay fuse that supplies a lot of the others (F1.6, 40A).

But just guessing here if you've suddenly lost all those circuits you've got to have a big failure linking them all together, like a fuse, relay, or switch. I wonder about something like keyswitch but it seems odd it can still crank. I don't think it's a relay because I don't see one that relates to it. That goes back to engine bay fuse, maybe keyswitch, or maybe a connector somewhere, but that seems like a long shot to have that much fail.

Unfortunately I can't help you much more without a wiring diagram. Any chance you can trace some of those wires? That might be your best bet in the interim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately my old copy of the service manual complete with wiring diagrams doesn't play nice with Win10 and doesn't display the wiring diagrams.

What notes I did find it does look like at least a few of those fuses are marked as "hot in start or run." It doesn't look like those fuses get power through the one engine bay fuse that supplies a lot of the others (F1.6, 40A).

But just guessing here if you've suddenly lost all those circuits you've got to have a big failure linking them all together, like a fuse, relay, or switch. I wonder about something like keyswitch but it seems odd it can still crank. I don't think it's a relay because I don't see one that relates to it. That goes back to engine bay fuse, maybe keyswitch, or maybe a connector somewhere, but that seems like a long shot to have that much fail.

Unfortunately I can't help you much more without a wiring diagram. Any chance you can trace some of those wires? That might be your best bet in the interim.
I cannot find a wiring diagram for the life of me !! All the fuses under the hood are good !! Before I start back on it I'm going to try and get a wiring diagram !! Do you know off hand if the Haynes manuals have the wiring diagrams in them ? I wish I could find some online to print out because it would be bigger and cheaper lol

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
For the future, also look on youtube. There are a lot of helpful videos out there. One video saved me about $170, showed me what parts I needed and another video troubleshot my low idling problem. Good luck on your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately I'm battling this exact same issue on my 99 Gt. All the same symptoms. I'm like 99 percent sure the computer died based on the fuses and relays for the most part being fine. Mine died while driving. ODB poor powers up coders, but it can't communicate with it at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have access to all data, what diagrams do you need?
I would like to find wiring diagrams to see where the grounds like the pcm and motor grounds run and also a wiring diagram to show where the wires from the fuse box inside go or come from so I can trace them and see if I have a short or possibly a loose ground wire !! Thanks for the response man

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It doesn't sound like a ground issue if you don't have power at a bunch of fuses. Even if you disconnect the grounds on those circuits, it should show you have voltage at the fuses. Your issue is going to lie somewhere between that fuse panel, the engine bay fuse panel, and the battery. It's a fairly limited area.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
check these out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts