Modded Mustang Forums banner

2001 Roush - Service Engine Light

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  turp 
#1 ·
Greetings - I have a 2001 Roush Mustang, mint condition, maintained and garaged. Slightly over 100K miles on her right now.

Have noticed over the past several months the Service Engine light will come on. This occurs shortly after getting gas and the light will go out after I have gotten down to around 1/2 a tank.

The dealership recommended I replace the gas cap, which I did. This worked for a couple of months and then the problem started again. Have run diagnostic checks when the light was on and also when off and everything came back clean.

Car runs like a kitten and there's been no changes in gas mileage or anything..... I am totally stumped at this point. Any suggestions?

-Michael in Atlanta, Georgia
Roush ID # 6652

#2 ·
If your getting a light then a code is stored for usually 3 drivecycles even after going off. Run by Autozone or someplace and have them put their code scanner on it for free. Come back and post the code and we can be of more help.

Lots of things it could be if related to the gas tank, as the system should put a slight vacuum to lock in fumes - a number of things from the gas cap not sealing to detoriorated vacuum lines could be causing a problem. The code might help narrow the problem down.

#3 ·
Ok... Ran it by AutoZone during lunch. Looks like the EGR valve is sticking intermittently. They said it could be just gunked up a little bit. So I can either clean it out or buy a new one. Suggestions?

(Correction to my initial post - my baby only has 81K in mileage.... it's been a long week.....)

#5 ·
The tester they used (and I know the guy pretty good there) actually tells you with text and it scrolled "EGR valve open" on the LCD. He cleared the code off so the stupid light would go off and not blind me.

I can always stop on the way home to the one closer to home and have it checked again by someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.