Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok got a problem, for the past month i have noticed that every once in a while when i jump in my car and go to start it it would just crank and not start so i would take the key out and retry and it started so i didnt think anything about it until it happened more often well now it does not start.
i have researched and found out that it may be my pats system so does anyone have any clue on how to maybe fix this i noticed that in my key there is a battery , should i replace that?
and yes my theft light is flashing

·
Registered
84 Posts
could be your starter, in my experience taking a hammer to the starter usually starts it right up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its cranking over and the motor is turning its not my fuel pump or filter i just had those changed over the summer and definatly not the battery just bought a new one on November 7th and checked it today

·
Zippy Zip Custom \/
1,167 Posts
If it turns but doenst start it could be your fuel pump or filter. Even though you had them changed there could be a blockage in the fuel line. Why did you have your pump replaced?

Sent from my phone, in your back seat...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
its cranking over and the motor is turning its not my fuel pump or filter i just had those changed over the summer and definatly not the battery just bought a new one on November 7th and checked it today
Maybe put that in your op next time. It could very well be your pats. When our PAT system malfunctions or thinks its being stolen then it shuts off the fuel pump. Get a tune to bypass the pats and see if that helps.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
maybe put that in the original post next time..im sure...ya that had to be said.. Actually in the original post he already said he believes it to be pats related.. He also stated that he had pulled the key out and retried before and it worked so that further confirms its pats..

The guys got 18posts lets smart off to him so he never comes back..
Ive been here longer than you so I'm going to talk down to you and tell you what you should have included so I dont sound like somone who didnt even read your entire post.... That attitude and talking to people who dont know and are legitimately asking like that is bullshit and ruins these sites..

Anyway..ford dealer or a good tuner can work out your anti theft issues.. I had such a shitty run in w pats you wouldnt even believe it..
Ford will fix it (or at least try to) charged me more than twice of what they quoted me and didnt fix it because they said they were locked out of pcm...tuner will get rid of it entirely..

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
maybe put that in the original post next time..im sure...ya that had to be said.. Actually in the original post he already said he believes it to be pats related.. He also stated that he had pulled the key out and retried before and it worked so that further confirms its pats..

The guys got 18posts lets smart off to him so he never comes back..
Ive been here longer than you so I'm going to talk down to you and tell you what you should have included so I dont sound like somone who didnt even read your entire post.... That attitude and talking to people who dont know and are legitimately asking like that is bullshit and ruins these sites..

Anyway..ford dealer or a good tuner can work out your anti theft issues.. I had such a shitty run in w pats you wouldnt even believe it..
Ford will fix it (or at least try to) charged me more than twice of what they quoted me and didnt fix it because they said they were locked out of pcm...tuner will get rid of it entirely..

Dont Just assume Pats, if its not working one minute but working the next theres no logical difference that its PATS over fuel pump.

Op i had the EXACT same problem, as in there is no difference in your story and mine. For awhile it did that...couple of years, i tried narrowing it down at one point but could not pin point it. I appeared to Chug along for a couple of seconds on some days too then one day i put gas in, FILLED THE FREAKIN TANK...and the pump died. Towed it back home, checked my fuel pressure straight off the rail, had nothing, drained the fuel, dropped the tank, replaced just the pump and she fired up perfectly.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
btw, if his battery is bad in the key, and he trys to start the car, it should start and run for like 2 - 3 seconds then shut off. I made a spare key JUST TO UNLOCK my car, out of curiosity i put it in the ignition to crank it and it did just that. tested that multiple times then used my tuner to test PATS and retested. Def try replacing your battery first as its always cheaper things you want to try first.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Theft light... Itll blink in sequence..and if pressure is up to par in the rail will the pump even be kicking on for more than a split second..idk im asking... When mine did pats it was exactly like he explained.. Ima bet on pats..run your codes..youll have a code saying something along the lines of passive anti theft problems. Doesnt pats shut you dowm at your injectors not the pump?

Only a suggestion but the working intermittenly could be the transponder in the key going out...ive heard of a faulty ccrm causing this problem as well... Im just some dumb ol farmboy so take it for what its worth..but have someone tune pats out entirely..

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Theft light... Itll blink in sequence..and if pressure is up to par in the rail will the pump even be kicking on for more than a split second..idk im asking... When mine did pats it was exactly like he explained.. Ima bet on pats..run your codes..youll have a code saying something along the lines of passive anti theft problems. Doesnt pats shut you dowm at your injectors not the pump?
It could very well be PATS, not sure it would throw a code because i do not believe it goes into diagnostic mode for it.

PATS Shuts down injectors but not the pump, which is why the car is able to start, then shut down after 2-3 seconds, but it does it suddenly, not a slow die like when you shut off the inertia switch in the trunk to empty the lines of gas.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Yes it throws a code.. I cant remember for the life of me what the number is but it does throw one.. I plugged an sct tuner into mine..and it failed in the middle of tuning or something and left me w no vin in my pcm somehow and Ford got locked out as well..but I had had the same bug before this all started too so take that for what its worth.. To the point im so far away from anyone to tune me I yanked the motor and started a build because im not paying that tuner ten times over..ill do it all in one run...

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Are you sure your not referencing the incomplete test code that would show up?

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Positive.. I hadnt had a mustang but maybe 3 months or a ford for that matter ever.... My obd scanner showed me the first P.A.T.S I ever saw.

On two occasions I was sliding a particular curve on the backroad in 2nd and ripping 3rd and the car dropped on its face to the side of the road.. Try starting it.nothing.. ..first time i thought I slipped time or something worse because I was giving it hell.. But I had theft light..ten minutes goes by and starts right up.. Take it home run obd.. P1xxx passive anti theft something or other.. First time I ever seen it.

Makes me wonder whats loose in my car from whoever my buddy repo'd it from smashing it...

·
Zippy Zip Custom \/
1,167 Posts
:gayfight2:

cute

Untill **** is confirmed nothing can be assumed. OP, does your "THEFT" light blink erratically when this happens? Verify you have fuel pressure first, then spark. I'm leaning more towards a fuel issue.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
would be interesting to know an update....Been awhile since i visited tech section,..stupid clubhouse whoring up my life

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it turns but doenst start it could be your fuel pump or filter. Even though you had them changed there could be a blockage in the fuel line. Why did you have your pump replaced?

Sent from my phone, in your back seat...
pump was replaced because the fuel tank got smashed when my brother backed up over a rock, fuel pump came with a new pump

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok update i replaced the battery in the key still nothing i tried my other keys still nothing, but the theft light is not blinking anymore when i try to start it it just stays solid red checked the spark plugs and wires nothing even tried to jump the car and got nothing, checked the maf everything is looking good
checked for spark and got no spark and also checked for fuel right off of the fuel rail and got nothing no air pressure or fuel coming out so now my situation has changed
i have about 8 different tabs up on my computer with things to try , pats , checking fuel and spark etc.
i might be a newbie to this forum but im not a newbie to mustangs im asking for help because i need it and yes i did try searching before i asked for any help
any help is appreciated thanks for the people that try

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
i might be a newbie to this forum but im not a newbie to mustangs im asking for help because i need it and yes i did try searching before i asked for any help
any help is appreciated thanks for the people that try

first rule you will learn here is to not take people to heart. either they are helping or trolling and you dont want to retaliate as that will get you into trouble as well.

were you checking the fuel pressure while you had your key turned to ignition on? or was the car completely off? another thing to try is see if you can hear the small hum when you turn the ignition to just "on". that is the pump priming and can be heard. if you cant hear it have someone turn your key while you are underneath it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts