Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find simple break down of a stock 2002 mustang rearend. I dont have money to buy a book on it, i was hopeing that someone would have a link to give me so i can take it apart. im taking it apart b/c my spider gears have shredded and i need to replace them. So if anyone can help me that would be AWSOME.

Diesel

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
you dont have $20?
this is alot of explaining with out pictures
if your just replacing the spider gears you wont need to remove the case itself which is good

take off the cover
let the gear oil drip in to a pan
you'll probably need a screwdriver to wedge the differential cover off
next rotate the case until your able to get to the bolt that hold in the pin in the case(case being the posi or open carrier)
take out the bolt
slide out the pin
get a magnet to pull the c-clips off the axles
pull the axles
next hold the ring gear and push the spider gear or side gears till you can pop the spider gears out
then replace the spider gears and work backwards

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will dive it a try, yea i have 20.00 but i thought there would be a site out there to save money. i need to replace ALL of my spider gears and the case that the spider gears are in, so do i still do the same thing that you said to do?

Diesel

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
HMUSN had a site that had all that info automotive library or something like that, i dont remember the link though. PM him about it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, the side gears are all chipped also so its all going to have to be replaced, i just need to know if i can take all of that out without haveing to take my tires, brake caliper, rotor and all that stuff off just for a few gears ya know?

thanks

Diesel

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
yea, the side gears are all chipped also so its all going to have to be replaced, i just need to know if i can take all of that out without haveing to take my tires, brake caliper, rotor and all that stuff off just for a few gears ya know?

thanks

Diesel
yes you will need to take those out....i left that out because well thats almost a given

thats by far the easiest part of the job
the whole thing is pretty easy IMO

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i will dive it a try, yea i have 20.00 but i thought there would be a site out there to save money. i need to replace ALL of my spider gears and the case that the spider gears are in, so do i still do the same thing that you said to do?

Diesel
If you have to also replace the case the gears are in (gear carrier), then it is more complex. Still do what Chris said to get the axle shafts out and then you need to unbolt the bearing caps that hold the gear carrier in and remove it from the differential. This becomes more complex, because if you have to replace the gear carrier, then you may need to replace the shims on each side. To start keep careful track of where the existing shims are and put them back in the same place. Also the ring gear will need to be switched to the new gear carrier. If after you get it back together it doesn't whine, you are probably OK.

You might consider getting a used rear axle or at least the gear carrier and gears. If you replace just the gear carrier portion, I would use the original ring gear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mmm sounds like alot of work, and that it would be alot easyer just to get a new 8.8 rear end!

Diesel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts