Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, everything on my car was stock, besides the 17 x 9 Konig Beyonds I had put on and replaced the 16' stock rims last year. I had posted a thread on here several weeks ago to get the fellas of MM's to assist. I have 127,000 miles on the car. I bought it right at 100k last April, 2010.

1. I went down and had my stock exhaust changed. My car acted like it had asthma being all choked up. For now I only have 1 side done b/c of money (will get th other side done later). The type of exhaust is a "Mellow-Tone". It sounds pretty good and gave me more flow.

2. "McQueen" told me to SeaFoam. I followed his detailed instructions on this. The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 method. *the only thing I may add to this is clean your plugs afterwards - IMHO*

3. I changed my oil. I use Castrol Syntheic 5w 20. Mobile1 filter.

4. I took my throttle body off and cleaned it with TB cleaner and wire brush AND I also replaced the gasket between the TB and plenum/intake manifold. I actually had to make my own out of rolled up cork gasket you buy at Auto Zone or wherever since no one had one in stock. Worked out nicely. I also did the same thing with the gasket on my IAC last year. It is also cork that I cut out and fabricated. No issues at all. That gasket is actually paper thin but cork will smash down nicely.

Here is the BIGGEST thing that was eating my mileage....

5. While I had access to the spark plugs on that side of my engine I started checking those that I put in last year.
So, all of my plugs were not really fouled out but just needed cleaning AND they were all WAY OFF GAP - how the hell?? is still beside me. The gap is supposed to be .54 (not one single plug was .54 - they all ranged .60 to .63, so almost 10 over on some). I am using NGK Iridium plugs. Again, these have 27,000 miles on them and all i did was re-gap, sandpaper the top, then the bottom where the gap is and polished them up. Hey, when you dont have $$ you will make it work!!
;)

*NOte, these plugs were "Pre-Gapped" and I checked one at the store. Once I got home I didnt re-check. I just slapped them in. LESSON: ALWAYS check your plugs before putting them in - even if they are supposedly "Pre-gapped" from the store***

So, I went for 19mpg to 25mpg. Re-Gapping my plugs was the biggest thing I did, then the exhaust swap, then SeaFoam.

I wanted to share this with you all to say I was getting about 200 miles out of a tank to right at 300 miles per tank!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
how do you measure mpg... just curious

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do you measure mpg... just curious
I keep track of it. I always reset my trip counter after each full fill-up and divide that by how many gallons I put in. So, if I was writing down 205 miles just divide that by 12.55 gallons (or whatever).

The other day, after regapping my plugs and all, I got 296 miles and put in 12 gallons. 296/12= 24.7 mi/gal (example)

Make sense? I also have an app on my Droid call "aCar" that is free and lets my enter all this and it keeps track of it AND all maintenece and reminds me of when to change oil, filters, etc....

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Have you eased up on the gas pedal as well? I'm pretty sure it's my heavy foot and 4.10 gears that hurt my gas mileage :dunno

·
Registered
461 Posts
I miss good mpgs... Damn exhaust sounds good.

Good lesson, sorry you had to learn it the hard way. I always check the gap on the plugs as I'm putting them in. Another thing you may want to do is on the electrical connections put that gel stuff they sell at the counter of most auto box stores on your connections, it saves you from corrosion and gives a better connection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing you may want to do is on the electrical connections put that gel stuff they sell at the counter of most auto box stores on your connections, it saves you from corrosion and gives a better connection.
Heh, dont know if its recommeded but I put a lil squirt of WD-40 to help me get them off next time. I also had to tie my wires up with zip ties because one of them was resting on the exhaust manifold and almost burnt through (found that a few months back). I will eventually get a new set.

Oh, and someone else mentioned an exhaust leak between the O2 sensor and manifold?? Mine has one as well on the drivers side. I think it has a crack. Unfortunatly, I am not worried about it now that I am getting better MPG. If it gets worse as far as noise then I may look into fixing it. It is just gonna be a muther to fix with the bolts on the manifold being rusty..ughhhh

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you eased up on the gas pedal as well? I'm pretty sure it's my heavy foot and 4.10 gears that hurt my gas mileage :dunno
Dude, I am getting that good MPG in stop-n-go traffic and doing 75-80 average on the interstates constantly. If you dont do that then the ppl here in Nashville will run you off the road.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I go wot every now and then and I didn't notice any change in my mileage with 4.10s.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Dude, I am getting that good MPG in stop-n-go traffic and doing 75-80 average on the interstates constantly. If you dont do that then the ppl here in Nashville will run you off the road.
There's a big mix of traffic here in Iowa. You can do 75 in a 65 and some days you'll have people right on your ass then the next day you'll have people pulling out in front of you doing 60 to slow you down :dunno

I go wot every now and then and I didn't notice any change in my mileage with 4.10s.
I rarely go WOT but I get on and off highways quite and bit and almost every time I run 3rd gear way up. 2nd as well if the on ramp is straight. I get around 18mpg on a normal day :dunno

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a big mix of traffic here in Iowa. You can do 75 in a 65 and some days you'll have people right on your ass then the next day you'll have people pulling out in front of you doing 60 to slow you down :dunno

I rarely go WOT but I get on and off highways quite and bit and almost every time I run 3rd gear way up. 2nd as well if the on ramp is straight. I get around 18mpg on a normal day :dunno
I dont know. I just thought, damn, my dad's Chevy Duramax diesel that he had upped to 500hp truck gets better mpg than my 6 banger. I am glad I went throught it all and figured out what to do.

I am honestly not done yet. I am still looking for a tuner, cold air intake, and to finish off my exhaust.

You have a standard shift, I figured yours would be a little better on gas. But then that all depends on the perfomance mods you have that I dont. I guess it is either crap in one hand or pee in the other. Cant have both.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I get 200 to the tank, 200/15.7= 13mpg :shiftyeyes

lasts 2 weeks so it doesnt bother me too much but I'm going to seafoam and do an oil change next week. Also trying to be lighter on the pedal & improve my stick shift driving. I've gotten more consistent and smooth, I just need to learn what gear eats up less gas.

excited to be getting my short throw soon, could be bad/good depending :D

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
M - can almost touch 30s
T - can almost touch 30s
W - prob gets 8mpg
T - prob gets 8mpg
F - depends where I go but normally low 20s
S - prob gets 8mpg
Sunday - prob 25-30s again

lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
well i always thought a good measure was to drive till the light turned on and then pull into the nearest gas station put 10 gallons in (for a good round number) and try to avoid highway for that 10 gallons to get an acurate city reading.

then do the same with highway like if your planning on taking a long highway trip just plan it so right before you go to fill up your gas light is on and then fill up with x amount of gas and drive untill the light turns back on to see what your highway mileage is.

i think the new measure should not be MPG but should be DPM (dollars per mile) lol :fu GAS PRICES

·
Registered
730 Posts
I get 200 to the tank, 200/15.7= 13mpg :shiftyeyes

lasts 2 weeks so it doesnt bother me too much but I'm going to seafoam and do an oil change next week. Also trying to be lighter on the pedal & improve my stick shift driving. I've gotten more consistent and smooth, I just need to learn what gear eats up less gas.

excited to be getting my short throw soon, could be bad/good depending :D
ive NEVER fit more than 13 gallons in my tank?? and thats with me thinking driving one more mile is going to run the car out of gas idk where the 15.7 comes from but seriously... ive tried haha

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
well i always thought a good measure was to drive till the light turned on and then pull into the nearest gas station put 10 gallons in (for a good round number) and try to avoid highway for that 10 gallons to get an acurate city reading.

then do the same with highway like if your planning on taking a long highway trip just plan it so right before you go to fill up your gas light is on and then fill up with x amount of gas and drive untill the light turns back on to see what your highway mileage is.

i think the new measure should not be MPG but should be DPM (dollars per mile) lol :fu GAS PRICES
Hmm, that means trusting the sensor in your gas tank to turn on at exactly the same time each time. I'm not really a fan. Of course, filling it up at the station means trusting the pump to turn off when its at the exact same amount of "full" each time. I heard somewhere Shell engineers recommended topping off the tank each time to get the most accurate MPG readings.

·
I'm Learning Drugs ΔΧ
5,214 Posts
ive NEVER fit more than 13 gallons in my tank?? and thats with me thinking driving one more mile is going to run the car out of gas idk where the 15.7 comes from but seriously... ive tried haha
15.7G is the size of our tanks. When the low fuel light kicks, you usually have 1-2 gallons in the tank still. Therefore when you fill it youll get 13.xx

1 - 20 of 42 Posts