Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 03 cobra and it sounds like the rearend is whining so called the guy back who i bought the car from and he said he has installed a gear and i was recently servied by ford is there any recalls on the diff anyone have any suggestion the mileage is only 54000

·
Registered
493 Posts
is it there all the time? does it get louder with speed? is it only there when you accelerate or let off the throttle? just a little more info would be helpful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea im sure its not the blower it sounds like the gears are not shimmed right its only there when i let off the gas underload there is not noise thats when you here the blower

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Well theres nothing you can do externally. It has to come apart. Take it to a gear shop and have them crack the diff cover off and look. Thats the only way your going to get your answer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i know that i set my 8.8 up in my gt but im not familiar with a irs setup so i was wondering if there was anything i needed to know i read about 03 cobras having problems with bearings but it doesnt sound like a bearing guess i will take it apart and see whats up before i lock something up also i know some diffs require a limited slip additive and if its not used will sometimes cause some noise but i dont know if this applies to this car

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what i figured wasnt sure i like you sra write up i had several people tell me to do the swap i kind of swingin towards it

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Do it if you want to take your car to the track more than 10 times a year.

I will say it rides a little more rough with the SRA but its not terrible. You also dont get to have the shinny exhaust routed around your gas tank. I dont regert it but some people shouldnt be doing the swap if all they do is DD there cobra.

By the way. The pictures on that thread will show up in a few days. I posted to many pictures this month. As a free photobucket member you only get so much. My data limit resets monthly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea well i can live without the exhaust and my car isnt a dd its my play toy and i drive a old beat up jeep for my daily driver well thanks for you input man

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
yeah i would say that it isn't shimmed right, the back lash on the gears is probably off and that will cause your gears to whine...
This is pretty much right. Also check what the fluid in the diff looks like. I've seen people put the wrong fluid in it. Not to mention when I bought my Cutlass it had a nasty rear end whine at high speeds. I went to check the diff and my fluid was the consistency of pine tar. Got that taken care of and it ran beautifully.

And I say keep the IRS. This coming from someone with an 03 Cobra IRS on his car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea im going to check the fluid first and go from there to see whats up and i do like the ride of the IRS over the straight axle

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Check the bolts make sure they are tight and top it off with gear lube....these bolts have a habit of backing out if they weren't tq'd and sealed properly.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
when i got my cobra it made all kinds of stupid noises. not to mention the wheel hop sucked. i would re-bush the rear end with full tilt boogys kit, and get your gears relashed and never do high rpm launches with drag radials. alot of cobra guys play the risk of running the snot out of their irs and wonder why they break

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok today i was riding down the road and i kept hearing what sounded like the break draggin then i started to feel a vibration coming from the rear of the car i believe, when i gave the car some gas the vibration went away when i let the car coast the vibration came back when i got home it was dark so i decided to wait till the morning to look at it but i did notice a lot of brake dust on the rim so now im thinkin the caliper was locked up but im just confussed now

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
I could see how one caliper being locked could cause vibration but not if both were locked....

Have you checked the fuid level in your pumpkin?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts