Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this car in january, and i'm loving it, but the top goes up really slowly. It takes about 20 seconds to go down, but takes well more than a minute to go up, sounds strained while it does it, and i have to help it along by pulling on it.

I havent been putting it down since, I'm hoping this is just the fluid (there isnt any leaking anywhere around the car as far as I can see)

first off, does anyone know what this could be?
Also, how do i remove the seats to get to this whole system?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a new top motor or hydraulic cylinders. Not positive on the DIY part of it tho.

·
Registered
755 Posts
you might need new fluid its easy to take out the seats all you need is a flt head screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. there's 2 buttons you need to push on each side of the lower seat just put the screwdriver in between the seat where the carpet is.

then for the back part there's going to be two 10mm bolts you take those out and you will see the pump and you can check for fluid
(also if its leaking fluid you will notice it in the floor pan by the lift cylinders or by the motor ). BTW you have to use automatic trans fluid to fill it up. i can take pics if you want tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope its just the fluid. if its actually dying, im sure I can do the replacement myself, its just part costs thats gonna suck right now

thanks guys, I'm gonna work on this after classes tomorrow and i'll get back to you with whats up

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Reactions: JoshC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just following up with you guys, I got it fixed.

It took me a bit to get the seats out, and the damn rubber plug (that thing is in there TIGHT) out, but then checked the level with a pencil, and it was maybe 1/2-3/4 inches low

Filled it up, plugged, and ran the top 5 times, topped off the pump, ran it 5 more times, and topped it off again.

Now it works fantastically, 8 seconds to go up, about 6 to go down. No noises whatsoever

Also, I couldnt find any trace of the missing fluid around the car, I checked under the seats, and along the sides under the edge of the siding, and nothing was there other than a bit of dirt.

So now I'm going to go treat my car to a good vacuum, wash, and polish :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts