Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a 2003 supercharged GT, im still learning alot about supercharges and was just wondering what kind of sparkplug/ gap should be used? Im using 11 pounds of boost. Any help will be appreciated!

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I run NGK TR6 plugs, and I think I put the gap around .35. This is a pretty popular plug of choice for boosted Stangs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are those the ones that run about 7 bucks a peice? Are they pronged or any of that crazy stuff? I think im gonna end up going with those, I have heard alot of good word of mouth on them.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
No the TR6's are just a regular, cooler plug. About $2.00 each. I know you dont wanna run platinum plugs when boosted, but Im not sure on Iridum. :dunno

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast. Iridium IX offers extreme ignitability, improved throttle response and superior anti fouling
  • Fine Iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable spark
  • Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point, perfect for today’s high-tech, high-performance engines
  • “Trivalent Metal Plating” has superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
  • Outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and durability
  • Ultimate design, technology and performance

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Platinum plugs (and Iridiums) were introduced to provide longevity (60k-100k+) to vehicles compared to copper plugs which foul after 15k-30k miles, but they do NOT dissapate heat fast enough (which leads to pre-ignition/detonation) and do NOT provide a "better spark" like they have claimed...with their "fine-wire electrode" (which only causes problems).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i wasnt trying to get any platinum or anything like that. I had heard that about them (predetnation). Im probably gonna go with NGK. Dont suppose anyone has figured out a way to take out the plugs with out removing the fuel rail? hahaha. This is gonna be fun. Nice ride you got there Matt. I love that color combo (forrest green with gunmetal/dark rims) Thats actually kind of what I was looking for but I couldnt pass up on my stang haha. That **** is sharp though.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Platinum plugs (and Iridiums) were introduced to provide longevity (60k-100k+) to vehicles compared to copper plugs which foul after 15k-30k miles, but they do NOT dissapate heat fast enough (which leads to pre-ignition/detonation) and do NOT provide a "better spark" like they have claimed...with their "fine-wire electrode" (which only causes problems).
Why would iridium be recommended for supercharged applications then? Or are you just talking about platinum? Platinum for sure is very bad to run with boost. I know because I melted some ruining my engine on another car.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Yeah i wasnt trying to get any platinum or anything like that. I had heard that about them (predetnation). Im probably gonna go with NGK. Dont suppose anyone has figured out a way to take out the plugs with out removing the fuel rail? hahaha. This is gonna be fun. Nice ride you got there Matt. I love that color combo (forrest green with gunmetal/dark rims) Thats actually kind of what I was looking for but I couldnt pass up on my stang haha. That **** is sharp though.
No you have to take the fuel rail off but its not the bad, only a couple of nuts. Just get a plug that is a step colder from stock to prevent detonation.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Ive never heard of iridium being recomended for boost and you actually dont have to take the fuel rail off. You just remove the coil hold down bolt, and you can slide the coil out from under the rail. Then just use a socket with an extension and a swivel to get the plug out. Trust me Ive done it plenty of times. And thanks for the comments echo!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Ive never heard of iridium being recomended for boost and you actually dont have to take the fuel rail off. You just remove the coil hold down bolt, and you can slide the coil out from under the rail. Then just use a socket with an extension and a swivel to get the plug out. Trust me Ive done it plenty of times. And thanks for the comments echo!
They're recommended right here:
NGK TR6IX Iridium Spark Plugs - 2V/4V 3689 - Steeda.ca

·
Registered
682 Posts
I run the NGK TR6 plugs at .035 gap with my supercharger. No problems.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
i always use NGK TR55's, which are the cheapo's, and are great plugs, for 400-600RWHP SC application i gap at .032. under 500 you can go up to .034.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE FUEL RAIL TO GET TO THE PLUGS. just simply pull the screw form the cop, then pull it out, and a ratchet with an extension will work just fine, been doing it like this for a long time. will save you a lot of time. you maght have to remove the cia to get a little extra clearence but its simple

·
Registered
189 Posts
Kenne Bell recommends that you use one heat range cooler than stock, and that you use Denso U-groove plugs. One heat range cooler for the 4.6 3v is the Denso AUTOLITE H20 (with stock gap), so set the gap at 0.35". Avoid platinum plugs, kenne bell agrees.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
I run NGK BR7EF's at a .035 gap...

Im on 12#'s of boost...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts