Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my username is old, I just purchased a 2003 Mustang GT and I would like to put a t-lock upgrade in the rear end. I'm assuming the GT's have the 8.8 rear end correct? Also how can you tell if you have the 28 spline or 31 spline without tearing it apart? I was at americanmuscle.com looking at them and I don't know which one I have. Thanks for the help.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
you have 28 spline tlok already in your car. unless you are only spinning one tire, i would leave it be for now

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
+1 As long as you're running street tires the stock rear end is fine. If its spinning only one tire then you need to replace the clutch packs.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Like these guys said... If it's stock you have a 28 spline tlok and unless it's a one wheel wonder it's fine.

And yes, you have an 8.8 stock

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys. It is a stock rear end, but pretty sure it's not T-lock. I'm almost certain that only one wheel is the drive wheel being the passenger rear so would like to make it a t-lock or "posi" rear end. It's an automatic too if that makes a difference, didn't mention that in my first post.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Ok thanks guys. It is a stock rear end, but pretty sure it's not T-lock. I'm almost certain that only one wheel is the drive wheel being the passenger rear so would like to make it a t-lock or "posi" rear end. It's an automatic too if that makes a difference, didn't mention that in my first post.
All new edge GT's had an 8.8 Tlok. Flip the traction control off and do a quick burnout. You'll be able to see if both wheels are spinning or not. If one wheel doesn't leave a black mark then you'll need to rebuild the Tlok.

If you have to rebuild it's also a perfect time to swap in some gears.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
All new edge GT's had an 8.8 Tlok. Flip the traction control off and do a quick burnout. You'll be able to see if both wheels are spinning or not. If one wheel doesn't leave a black mark then you'll need to rebuild the Tlok.

If you have to rebuild it's also a perfect time to swap in some gears.
:withhomo

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree on the vote of double checking taction control. When buying gears they offer a tlok rebuild kit at AM I believe. If it is broken.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I agree on the vote of double checking taction control. When buying gears they offer a tlok rebuild kit at AM I believe. If it is broken.
There's not likely to be anything wrong with the traction control. I only said flip the traction control off because you can't do a burnout with it on, and the easiest way (or most fun way) to check your Tlok is to light up the tires

1 - 10 of 10 Posts