Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so its a 2004 mustang 3.8 with 16k miles. It has a cold air intake, headers, high flow cats, duel flows, subframe connectors.. Were going to put a simple sub system in the car. But even before that, the alternator seems so weak when you put the heat and lights on at idle the motor really doesn't like it. Can i buy an overdrive pulley for the alternator? Are their any good HO or better output than stock alternators for a good price? let me know

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If your car is already having trouble running things...then the last thing you want to do is put on U.D. pulleys. Take your car to pep boys or autozone and have them test the alternator. It sounds like it might be going bad.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yeah you can get an overdrive pulley for it, just get a HO alt though it will be better

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
its already having issues and its 4 years old? have the alt tested

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
thats normal i thought...like right right when u turn the stuff on it will dim then go back to normal within like 1 sec.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If your car is already having trouble running things...then the last thing you want to do is put on U.D. pulleys.
he said overdrive for the alernator not ud for the crank lol. just go with a higher output alternator :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah no i figured though i can do both a ho alternator and an overdrive pulley since hes doing a simple sub system. Where can i find an HO alternator for a good price? Where can i find the overdrive pulley?

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Yeah no i figured though i can do both a ho alternator and an overdrive pulley since hes doing a simple sub system. Where can i find an HO alternator for a good price? Where can i find the overdrive pulley?
google search HO alts autozone has some but im not sure if they have them for a v6, overdrive from VMP

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
just get a better alt. the stock ones arent that great. my 04 does the same thing if i have the headlights on and i hit the window switch to roll down the windows, they dim for a 1/2 second then go back to normal. if your getting a hardcore system get a new one because even with the overdrive pully it still may have problems

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THANKS A LOT! ill look for the alt on autozone today, thank you. Let me know still though if anyone reccomends a certain alternator or where to get one. You guys rock :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts