Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know everyone likes the SCT better than these, but someone local wants to trade his for two old flowmasters I got in my garage, and for some reason only those, wont take cash.

I'm looking up the info on it, I've only had one other diablosport tuner and it was for my 07 corvette.

My main question is about what it lets you modify on it.

My old SCT SF3 let me have a few more options for delete plates, and specifically what I'm most interested in, the intake. I could choose form jlt,c&l,frpp,etc.

But I can't find anything saying they let you select like that on a diablo. Is it strictly downloaded tunes only?

I would check with his tuner myself, but we're both going to drive about 30-40 minutes each to meet up if I decide to do it. But this is just bugging the hell outta me.

I know people don't like the diablo because it's more restrictive in certain aspects, and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I am that familiar with the SCT as I have a diablo. If you have delete plates you will need some to write a tune for you. The canned tunes for the diablo does include different intakes. Also gear and tire rotation can be adjusted as can fuel mixture, timing and spark advance. For email tunes there are only two I can think of: bamachips and brooksspeed. I have the 87 per, 89 tq, 91 race and 91 tq from bama and the 91 tune from brookssped. For dynotunes one of the best tuners if not the best tuner in the area: Adam from STmotorsports actually prefers tuning with the diablo. He is located in San Bernadino. I know of people from San Diego that drive 150 miles to have him tune their car.

Reactions: 06Black5spdGT

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much you just sold me on it. I've got some family that moved up to san bernadino so a trip up there isn't too bad on me.

Thanks a lot repped too.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I am actually getting ready to switch from Diablo to SCT. The reason for my wanting to switch is the ability to adjust the auto tranny functions. I have been happy with the Diablo and it has done everything up till now that I have asked for it. I have been running a few tunes from Bama and very happy with them, but Doug is unable to adjust the parameters of the tranny tune in the manner that I want because of the limitations of the Diablo software. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't an auto I would stay with Diablo. Doug does a good tranny tune but it is limited to adjusting the table that uses torque sensing stuff to determine shift points and I want my shift points to be strictly determined by throttle position and speed/rpm points. You can't do this with the Diablo, but you can with the SCT. I don't know if I am actually going to get rid of the Diablo alltogether because the most reputable local tuning guru, who I will be turning to eventually when I have to get away from e-mail tunes, uses the Diablo software. I am still torn in which route I am going to take and if it worth the switch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well for what it's worth, I never had any complaints about my SCT tuner. I know a lot of people like how much better it makes the auto tranny in our cars.

I wouldn't be able to say anything about that though since I've never seen/felt the change first hand since my car is manual. Great tuner from all the time I used it though.

I would just say keep the diablo for when you eventually go with that guy to tune your car, and then just sell the sct. If you buy one used for around 250-290, chances are by the time you don't need it anymore you can sell it for the same price.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Check to see what your local dyno shops work off of and thats which one I would go with. It would suck to get a diablo and find out the local tuners all use SCT software and then you would have to sell the diablo and buy an SCT.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Fast is right, if you have plans to take your car to it's absolute best potential via the modifications you do, then go with a handheld that is supported very well locally. Mail order only goes so far, at some point you will want the most of the car and that will require dyno time. Would suck if you don't have any Diablo capable folks nearby. Even worse if the closest thing to you is some unknown shop owner, not worth his salt in being mentioned in public.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
DO you need to unlock the tuner like a SCT though? If its programmed to his cars CPU number I would assume it needs to be unlocked....

·
14,391 Posts
^ Valid point... If he returns the stock tune to his car then you wont need to unlock it. If he doesnt then its going to cost you $150 to unlock it... But conisdering you two will need different tunes depending on your parts list you will have to get some mail order tunes in for your car ( unless you want to just use the generic tune supplied but I wouldnt advise this if you have a decent mod list ).

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
I am actually getting ready to switch from Diablo to SCT. The reason for my wanting to switch is the ability to adjust the auto tranny functions. I have been happy with the Diablo and it has done everything up till now that I have asked for it. I have been running a few tunes from Bama and very happy with them, but Doug is unable to adjust the parameters of the tranny tune in the manner that I want because of the limitations of the Diablo software. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't an auto I would stay with Diablo. Doug does a good tranny tune but it is limited to adjusting the table that uses torque sensing stuff to determine shift points and I want my shift points to be strictly determined by throttle position and speed/rpm points. You can't do this with the Diablo, but you can with the SCT. I don't know if I am actually going to get rid of the Diablo alltogether because the most reputable local tuning guru, who I will be turning to eventually when I have to get away from e-mail tunes, uses the Diablo software. I am still torn in which route I am going to take and if it worth the switch.

I have Doug's 93 race tune through an xcal2 on my auto and it is awesome.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
First thing I asked him was if it was unlocked when he told me he was interested in trading.

I know a local guy near downtown that uses diablos, and I've read on a forum about there being another guy in la that uses SCT so neither one is a problem. I also live in Long Beach, about 20 minutes away from LA, so I'm sure somewhere in the city even if I couldn't find these two guys(the one that uses diablo I've used before when I got my corvette dyno tuned, and the sct I've just heard good things about) that I would find someone that does tuning with either one, it's a big city.

All I plan on doing with this car is bolt ons, no cam. Eventually, maybe before 2010 is up, after I see what the 5 liter mustang looks like I'm going to put a P1SC Procharger kit on it and just be happy with around 450 to the wheels. All depends on if they fix what they messed up visually on the new mustang or not(my opinion).

I did the same thing with my corvette. Long tube headers, complete exhaust, procharger kit at 8 psi. little under 600rwhp and I'm happy with it.

I wont be looking to max out my Mustang power wise. Just have a decent amount of power to enjoy and that be the end of it.

Thanks everyone for the input, really appreciate it.

EDIT:Hey since you're here 1fastfox, you come up with any new possible cars you'll be getting? Or you just still looking for the right one?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, only thing I would get FI wise over a Procharger is a kenny bell system, but I prefer the prochargers range of where it gives you the power.

Great choice for a car, I kept seeing your sig for a little while, and all of a sudden it clicked in my head after seeing the pics haha. If you go with the GT500 setup, are you going to modify it at all, or just keep it stock?

·
14,391 Posts
Yeah, I had a KB on my 91 for the longest time and loved it. But after I played around with the procharger on my 06 I replaced the KB with another procharger. Since I was 17 I have had mustangs with Paxtons, Vortecs, Kenne Bells, and Prochargers and so far the procharger is my favorite hands down ( performance and sound ).

As for the power plant for the Cobra, I planned on doing a KB swap but Im still atleast 6-8 months away from being ready for it and alot could change between now and then so Im still playing with a few ideas...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For my C6, I was originally going to get the new KB system, but I kept seeing people say they overheat. After that I looked around and started really liking the Procharger system.
Plus I love the sound. Although the sound of a kenne bell system is better IMO. That whine is awesome. Once I put the headers on though, you couldn't hear the bov from the system anymore. Car's almost as quiet as stock even with full exhaust, but it's loud at WOT. Same reason I went with magnaflows on my GT

That cobra should real nice car when it's done.

Have you decided on a color yet? Or you going to go with the usual blue with white stripes.

·
14,391 Posts
I will use blue as that my favorite for cars, but I would love to do something like this on it... After all, if I not cutting any corners whats $4k to have it painted?

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
my car came with a diablo and i havent even pluged it in to see what its got since its snowing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts