Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there my friends, i just got a 05 gt that is bone stock. i have always had the sn95 body, my question is can i save some money and empty out the cats ? and make it a off road? the pipe is already 2.5. what other mods can i do to gain some power without getting a tune right away? i have the pipes violators mufflers on there now, but sounds just like stock,

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
Just do the off road h pipe lot lees **** to deal with and you can get one pretty cheap

·
Noob
828 Posts
check engine light

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
A tuner is one of the first things you should buy, almost every mod you do will need a new tune...

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
Instead of playing in the grey area of "you don't technically need one", why don't we just advise him to wait until he can afford a tuner. He'll need one anyway if he plans to do anything else engine mod wise. Also, for what you'd be getting from destroying your factory cats, it isn't worth the effort IMO. You MIGHT get 1 or 2 hp from the extra flow, if you don't mess it up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what kind of tuner?

ok, i see what you all are saying, so are you saying i need to go to a shop ad have a custom tune done? or can i get a hand held one? and which one you all works the best for the cheapest price? what all add ons do you say i should get? off road pipe cold air? what else will help this car?

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
I say start with an sct tuner/ cold air package off American muscle with the free tunes for life, a handheld tuner is gonna be a godsend

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
ok, i see what you all are saying, so are you saying i need to go to a shop ad have a custom tune done? or can i get a hand held one? and which one you all works the best for the cheapest price? what all add ons do you say i should get? off road pipe cold air? what else will help this car?
This is basically what most people get. No matter where you go, its pretty much the same price, I think SCT keeps them all sold at the same price. They'll also give you 3 free tunes and enter you into the tunes for life program so as you upgrade the car, you can request a new tune, and if you go to a tune shop that uses the SCT tuners, they'll be able to save your tune to it.

Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (05-10 GT) 3015||38018 - Free Shipping!

As far as the off road pipe goes, if you ever plan on going with long tube headers, I would hold off on that mod since you'll need to replace whichever mid-pipe you have now with a shorty at that time. CAI are all basically the same, the looks and filter designs can be a little different but its usually up to you to decide which one you really want, they pretty much all make the same power.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
i know with the jlt cold air i have before i put the tune in the car...it wouldnt even start. loaded the tune and it started right up..may be different with exhaust though

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Hey... watch the "playing in the GREY area" as I am easily offended...lol

Get a tuner.. from American Muscle with Bama tunes for life and you will be good to go no matter what you mod on it... you can actually save $$ with a tuner vs not having one because you can change tunes for how you want to drive at that time and less power = less gas... generally speaking... also any codes you get are easily read and cleared with the tuner... it was the first mod I got back in 07... well that and a KB 2.6

·
dirt/street Motorsports
683 Posts
yea man forget every thing else for now.and get the tuner i got the diablosport intune and really woke the car up,in my opinion the CAI isn't worth the money unless your doing the full package,tb,cams,heads ,headers,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts