Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so first off here is the link to the car i'm looking at buying.

2005 Mustang GT 81,000miles

I've looked at the car and it is immaculate inside and looks to be in very good condition with a few exceptions. I know the car has a salvage title and when i raise the hood i can see that it had an impact on the front drivers side. with the hood down, there is little evidence except for the hood hanging a little lower than the fender or maybe the fender is pushed up higher.

under the hood i can see a wrinkle in the frame right behind the headlight and can see that the hood and drivers side fender have bondo on them. the bracket on the headlight has been repaired with epoxy.

when i test drove the car it drove very straight and seemed to handle perfectly and didn't seem to pull while braking. but the steering wheel was turned to the left between 1/8 and 1/4 of a turn while driving straight.

The car seems super cheap to me and a great deal. I'm prepared to replace the fender and the hood with a hood that I want as well as a new set of rims. The steering wheel issue kind of bothers me. Can someone tell me what may be wrong? what to look for when I go look at it again.

I asked the owner to get an alignment done to fix the steering before I would buy it but his wife just told me that she doesn't want to put any money into it and would take off money for it. poor guy's mustang is getting sold by the wife...

I have a background in fixing just about everything and am comfortable fixing a lot but since I've never owned this year and model I would like to know what you guys have experienced and some advice. if the frame is bent could i just take it and have a shop straiten it?

I wish i had detailed pics for you.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i'd say 11 grand is way too much for a salvaged title 05 with those miles. i'd want to give them maybe 8 grand

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was salvaged in texas. not sure on the laws there. I'm guessing the wrinkle behind the headlight. and whatever damage that has been repaired.

I was thinking about offering 10k. should i offer less? KBB has just over 11k as the price for their worst condition cars at this mileage. i guess that doesn't take into account salvage titles.

I'm really wanting to know something about the steering wheel issue. that's the issue that bothers me. I can weld and do auto body work but don't want a frame that's #$#$'d

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question with the alignment. But it seems funny that she will take money off the price but not invest a 100 bucks to get what she's asking. I would take it somewhere and have it looked over. Will cost you a little bit but could save you a lot in the end

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
mustangs have uni-bodies, not frames.. something else is bent.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
The price is a little high but if you aren't worried about recouping much on the resale, the salvage status might not be that much of an issue. Some states will give a salvage status to any car that has only one major component damaged. Some states need two. And being that it is a unibody and if the damage is only in the front subframe, it can be fixed without any ill effects. BUT I would make sure that the damage is isolated to that part of the subframe and not to the K-member and suspension. The steering wheel issue is just a simple fix if the suspension is straight and intact, but it can also be an indication of there is still an alignment issue. Other than that it is pretty much up to you if the value of the car to you is worth the price. I would say wait for something else to come along if you are restricted by budget. I recently was in the market for another ride and all the cars that were meeting my criteria were all running about $18K. I had a budget of $15K. After about 7 months and a few dozen prospective rides I found one for $13.5K. Paid $15K though so they could pay off the stang, but my point is that if you're patient enough, something will come along.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
if your in no rush then i would wait for something better. you will probably never be able to sell that car for what you put into it. If you want it, bring it to a reputable shop and have them check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Salvaged title is supposed to be 1/2 of what a normal KBB is.
I purchased an 07 that is a salvaged vehicle. I ran the car fax and confirmed it was a total loss due to theft. Car Fax knocked off $3600 off of the normal used car sales price. Then again local market will dictate what you could actually get for it. Its a V6 model that is now a GT clone. It was done by a local reputable Mustang shop. I got it for 10K. I think it was a steal. Great car runs perfect. It did have a couple of minor cosmetic issues but I took care of those pretty easily. In my area normal 07 GTs are going for $16000- $19000. So over all it was a good buy.

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
Commonly on our salvage vehicles we knock 3k off of the kbb value. So i say anywhere from 8-10 is ok but that is with no evidence from being crashed other than title. I say offer 8 but im sure you wont get it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
When I bought mine, the previous owner had fallen asleep at the wheel on a 3 hour drive and put it in a ditch. They replaced all the driver front suspension components, new hood, and front bumper. The only downside to it is I was told by the alignment shop that something was "tweak" a small amount and it is just barely out of factory spec and can be fixed with a cc plate or camber bolt.

Get it inspected before buying. It could have a more serious "tweak" that you can't see.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
I wouldn't touch that car...

Chances are it sounds like it was fixed in someones back yard and not done professionally...

WALK AWAY!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with ChrisJ. The steering wheel would give me pause, I would have someone follow me in it if I really liked it to make sure it isn't "crabwalking" down the road due to a tweaked subframe. I totalled my '06 GT and it didn't look bad until I noticed the passenger door was about 3/4 " higher than the rest of the body where the door closes. I think if it had been repaired properly you would not be able to tell which parts were damaged.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
^+1 the only things I think you could tell were replaced would be parts like shocks, struts, and other suspension pieces because they would look new.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
its a salvaged car, they are going to have trouble selling it. they dont have much say in it really if they want to get rid of it. i would not pay a dime over 8k for it.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I think the only reason of us would buy a salavged car is because it was our car and have no intention of ever selling it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's too much to pay for a salvage car, you can check the top for square by measuring from a strut tower bolt head to a headlight bolt on both sides, then you'll know if the apron is square. I'd put it on an alignment rack if I were you, and you should be present and ask to walk around under it with the person doing the alignment, he or she may see something you would otherwise miss. The steering wheel could easily be off if the airbag was replaced, sometimes it's difficult to get the clockspring in exactly the right place and if the tech replacing it wasn't paying attention it could easily leave the shop that way. If the hood is low, check the rubber adjuster on the radiator support, see if it is adjusted all the way up, if not, problem solved, if it is all the way up then you have a sign of another underlying problem.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
For 11k you can find an unmolested 05 GT with that many miles. Hell, if I were to sell my 08 with 90k on it, I'd only be asking 13 or 14 for it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts