Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So again I'm new to the whole mustang club,
And I want to get more power and make it faster.
So what is the best way to get the most horsepower without having to drastically change everything?
As far as boltons go are there any ways of say making it as fast as a Shelby without having to pay for an entire new engine?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Sure. As far as bolt on's go spend more than what a Shelby costs to buy in the first place.

You are not going to get 500 or 550 hp ( or whatever it is) without dropping a lot of change. Work with what you have and don't set your goals that high quite yet. Start with your basic intake/ tuner package then work on exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Step one hand held tuner you will see a huge change in performance, step two a tuned Cold air intake (CAI), step three dual exhaust, after go with a some gears and a tlock along with underdrive pulleys, and a coil pack (only if you really want a coil pack) if you dont want the small bolt on why just go with a turbo or supercharger. Hence nitrous is cheaper :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey man let us know what you'll be doing we all like to know what other v6ers are doing to their cars

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you get duel exhaust a 14psi procharger and stage 3 internals from super six Motorsport and a good tune you could put out over 400hp but that will all cost you like $8,000 :eek: haha. Its best to do some basic stuff first. In my opinion +1 to getting gears first no hp gains but your car will jump quick and its going to feel like you got a lot more HP and if you get tlok you can have both rear tires drive the car instead of just one.

·
Registered
584 Posts
So what is the best way to get the most horsepower without having to drastically change everything?
As far as boltons go are there any ways of say making it as fast as a Shelby without having to pay for an entire new engine?
Not gonna happen

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
just get a GT and throw on some bolt ons and call it day

its going to take alot more money then you think to get the car to where you want it to be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So again I'm new to the whole mustang club,
And I want to get more power and make it faster.
I would say the best performance mods you can make on your v6 without blowing a huge hole in your pocket, and without spending as much or more than it would be to get an 8, I would suggest these:

1. Ram Air Intake - This will increase the HP about 5-10, and is much better to get for a stang in comparison to the cold air intake mainly for the reasoning of flooding issues. Mustangs are low to the ground, and cold air intakes have been known to have issues like this in lower cars. Personally, I would say get the BBK RAI, or the K&N. They might be a couple more bucks than Ford Racing ones, or ones you would get off ebay, but they are much more reliable and do the job.

Here are some links:

BBK Mustang Cold Air Intake (2005-2010 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

K&N Mustang FIPK Air Intake Kit (05-09 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I myself own the BBK RAI, and it sounds great, and you can definitely feel a little more power. I suggest getting a RAI that doesn't reqiure a tune. This way you can decide later on if you want to put in the money for a tuner, instead of being forced to get a tuner right away.

2. Tuner - I would say this is probably the best bang for your buck, especially on a 6. It is only about 150-200 more than a Ram or Cold Air Intake, but produces about 3 times the horsepower, and has multiple tunes depending on how much performance you want out of your mustang. The tuner listed below is the best for the price, and just gives you performance, rather than all those other ones with the fancy parts.

SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (05-10 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

3. Dual Exhaust - this is much less performance, it might give you 5-10 horsepower tops. Although it does make any 6 sound much more like an 8, just make sure to get a well known dual exhaust kit. Here are some suggestions:

Pypes V6 True Dual Exhaust Kit (05-10 Mustang V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! - Good deep hum, great price.

Magnaflow Mustang Dual Exhaust Catback (05-09 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! - Also gives a deep sound to the 6, and pretty reasonable price.

Ford Racing Mustang V6 True Dual Exhaust Kit (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! - A little pricier, but they sound pretty damn good, and thats saying something because I usually don't like the Ford Racing parts.

THIS LINK IS TO SLP LOUDMOUTHS, they are probably the loudest duel exhaust kits you can buy, disregarding taking out cats, etc. Note that on an 8 cylinder, they are so deep that they break the legal limit (95 decibels), so you will have to be careful with these if you decide to get them. Note that I am also not sure how they would sound on a 6.

I personally just got one axle-back (SLP Powerflo) cost me about 280 on Americanmuscle.com, sounds pretty good.

The crackling sound goes away after 500-1000 miles.

Well good luck, and I hope some of this helped.

SenileT:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You will like the gains of a CAI and tune combo. Best bang for your buck on these cars IMO. Take it from there. Look into getting an 8.8 w/3.73's or 4.10's. You will learn as you go and formulate what you really want out of your car. A procharger or vortech is a wonderful setup for these cars. You run acrossed used kits more often then you would think if you keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been running an X-Charger on my Mustang for 108,000 miles and my Mustang has 138,000 miles on it. This is the best mod of all I have done and changes the fun factor exponentially! Not cheap but well worth it IMO.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/-c-86_87.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts