Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a major build on my s197 and I am using a supercharger, but I am between a whipple ho kit and a paxton 2200. I know the difference and where the power in the rpm range is, but I want the perfect setup ( who dosent). I am currently leaning toward the paxton 2200 but I am not sure what is better a flat power curve or a steady increase and I think if I see some real dyno sheets and 1/4 mile ets, then I can make a better decision. And any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
always go twin screw if you have the choice.

The reliability of the Whipple will be sooooooo much better! Plus the sound and look too!

Whipple!

·
Registered
393 Posts
from what i have read, i would prefer the whipple myself. the twin screw is supposed to be the most efficient supercharger on the market. if you havnt already seen it here is a link to the whipple site explaining what they say are the advantages over other systems. of course all the sites will be biased towards there own products....... Whipple Industries

nothin wrong with going for a kenne bell either imo

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
twin screws make more torque. whipple is my vote for the perfect setup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Twin screws do make more torque, but I must say that I am very happy with my Novi 2200. What you will want will depend on what you desire for your car. I personally prefer the centris for their high end horsepower which works quite well on the strip. My first dyno pull with the Novi ended up at 440 RWTQ and 493 RWHP, but this had to be cut back because of the stock rotating assembly to 400RWTQ and 448RWHP. With that being said, either setup is good, but I figured I'd throw in my .02 worth of support for the Paxton.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
if you want a flat power curve, then you gotta go TS. although they are both great SC. for street fun, the TS is more fun bc of the instant boost. right off the line as long as i give it enough throttle it has instant boost, w/ less throttle there is less or no boost. in centri's the boost depends on rpm's 2.5k and up create boost and climb up from there, where as the TS its at full boost right off the bat. some like the centris better and some the TS it just depends what YOU really want.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Whipple is the most efficient TWIN SCREW supercharger on the market, not the most efficient supercharger.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also the HO paxton setup is rated for up to 1000HP. You wont need to uprade the system itself only the belt setup. However the Whipple is an outstanding kit as well. Its such a hard decision. I based mine completely on my driving situation. I drive in a lot of traffic and dont want to get into the boost until later in the rpms. Later this year when the car isnt the daily driver any more is when the fun will start!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Also the HO paxton setup is rated for up to 1000HP. You wont need to uprade the system itself only the belt setup. However the Whipple is an outstanding kit as well. Its such a hard decision. I based mine completely on my driving situation. I drive in a lot of traffic and dont want to get into the boost until later in the rpms. Later this year when the car isnt the daily driver any more is when the fun will start!

you mean you dont have to upgrade fuel pump, injectors, maf, TB, etc.?
i think you will.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes your right, I meant the unit itself and the intercooler. Most defiently need what onederful100 added. haha or you will be in trouble. Thanks onederful, didnt mean to put out something not 100% correct.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2004 Mach 1 with a pro-charger (8 PSI). Dyno'ed at 535 RWHP. Clean installation and running in the high 11s on pump gas. Car also has bigger injectors, 2 cobra fuel pumps, 410 gears, Stage III Clutch, BBK Headers and exhaust. The problem with roots type superchargers is that the seals will wear out over time. I have run both types and have raced for years. The pro charger does not require a oil feed from the engine. That would be my choice if I where you.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If you're looking for torque......turbo. Come on...you'd be disappointed if I didn't chip in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You're going to find more opinions then you can handle ... just remember ALL centri's and turbo's make their power as you get higher in the RPM range ... Twin Screws start much sooner in the lower range ... where most people drive their cars in. Want more boost ... just change the pulley ... in a centri or turbo it is not that simple. Plumbing is an easier issue to manage with a Twin Screw ... but typically the initial cost of a centri is less. Turbos and some centris are adaptable to make huge boost ... but you have to ask yourself what are your intentions with the car and motor. "Perfect set-up" is more of a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" ...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
but you have to ask yourself what are your intentions with the car and motor
Faster you want car to go on the track = increased loss of streetability. It gets to a point where the car (although street legal) is a pain to drive around the block.

Turbos and some centris are adaptable to make huge boost
True....but huge boost is way overrated for a street car.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Some interesting reading if you're noobish on the whole forced induction concept.

Turbo's & Centrifugal type s/c'ers make more power in the middle & top of the powerband.
Roots type & Whipples, or twin screws, make better power in the lower half of the powerband. So it all depends on what you want & when you want it.

Learn about twin screws (Whipple): Twin Screw

Learn about Roots type: Roots

Learn about Centrifugal s/cers: Centri's

Learn about turbos: Turbos

1 - 20 of 30 Posts