Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a year after buying the 96 GT roller.... I'm ready to start on the engine.

Picked up a 4.6L out of a 07 Crown Vic... crashed cop car.

Obviously, there are some differences from the 96... LOL.

So that leads me to ask here.... are there any specific areas that need to be addressed???

I know I'll need a 96 engine harness.
I was able to rotate the intake elbow so it's pointing the right direction for the Stang... don't know if this will actually work or not, have to grab a TB and see.

Will the Crown Vic oil pan work??
Coil on Plug setup... I searched and see where it can be made to work, but is it really worth it? Those things are expensive, and if there anything like the Duratech 3.0L.... I'll need to keep a ready stock of them, LOL.

Fuel rail, I see the 07 doesn't have a return?? What's up with that? What years have the correct rail for the 96?

any other parts that may not work?

Now for the real question.... You guys that have taken apart some engines with miles on them... How did they look??? I ask, because the guy who pulled the engine thought it may have been a replacement. Due to the fact that it's REAL clean (no road grime), and the bolt weren't as tight as other known factory engine cars were (Manifolds came off like they were just put on).

I was skeptical, but when I got it home and pulled the valve covers... the top end looked SUPER clean.... no wear on the cam lobes or rollers, aluminum was bright under the covers (don't they normally stain from repeated heat cycles with oil on them??), everything on that block came apart easiely... no "difficult" bolts at all.

Pulled the oil pan, and everything looks good on the bottom end too... You can see that there's a ridge in the cylinders... but it's not bad.

So I'm wondering if this is indicitave of a "low milage" engine... or if these engines just don't wear as bad as the older, push rod, engines I'm used to dealing with.

Any input is appreciated.... I'd like to get an idea of the parts need, and any known problems that I may encounter.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Get a PI intake with your 96 fuel rails.

Throw the stock harness over the engine with your coil packs.

Use the mustang oil pan.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a PI intake with your 96 fuel rails.

Throw the stock harness over the engine with your coil packs.

Use the mustang oil pan.
bought it as a roller.... no existing engine, trans(got one tho), harness, or anything in the engine bay.

so, ya.... i have some shopping to do.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dont fear the COPs. Buy motorcraft brand and you will be fine. Used ones will work as they are around $50 new. the salvage yard will be your friend here on this project to save alot of money. BTW is this a 2v motor or a 4v? 2v im assuming which will make it easier. Good luck it can be done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2v engine.... just trying to get an idea of what wont work, and common problem areas (if any) I may encounter so it's less trouble.

went back and pulled the VIN from the car, will call the local PD and get the maintaince history for it wed. to see if how many miles were on it....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Luckily the 2v engine is quite indestructable when maintained properly. My car has 130xxx miles on it and the bores are still cross hatched and the cam lobes show little to no wear at all, Its quite a remarkable engine when you look at it that way.

A 96gt harness would work, you need to tap the intake for a 2nd coolant sensor. You need a return style fuel rail i think. And there is another sensor in the oil pan that is different as well. There are some other things that you would need to but im not quite so sure. Im just going of how to swap a PI motor into an NPI car. Your going to have to do some junkyard shopping :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
You will need:
a 96 Mustang GT Harness
a 96 Mustang GT Oil Pan, only year that sensor existed in the oil pan.
PI Heads and Cams
PI intake manifold, which has to be drilled for a second Coolant temp sensor.
2 Coil Packs, I prefer that to COP. MSD all the way baby!

As for the Plenum, it doesn't have the same locations for the EGR valve, IAC, and Canister Vacuum line.

You'll need the fuel rails off of a 96-98 Mustang to go return style, I'm not sure of what other models had Return Style during those years.

That's all I can really think of right now considering I have almost a dozen beers down.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need:
a 96 Mustang GT Harness
a 96 Mustang GT Oil Pan, only year that sensor existed in the oil pan.
PI Heads and Cams
PI intake manifold, which has to be drilled for a second Coolant temp sensor.
2 Coil Packs, I prefer that to COP. MSD all the way baby!

As for the Plenum, it doesn't have the same locations for the EGR valve, IAC, and Canister Vacuum line.

You'll need the fuel rails off of a 96-98 Mustang to go return style, I'm not sure of what other models had Return Style during those years.

That's all I can really think of right now considering I have almost a dozen beers down.

Thank you, that's what I'm trying to get... and idea of what I need to get... LOL.

96 Harness... is on the list.

What is the sensor for in the oil pan?? Just a level switch or something else?

Will the existing heads and cams (07 Crown Vic) not work?? I'm going to pull the maintainence info from the city tomorrow... if the engine hasn't been replaced (like I believe it has)... then a full rebuild will happen, including cams. But I need to know if those heads won't work, so I don't waste time porting them.

Are there any tech write ups from anybody who's drilled the second sensor?? I'll have to search to see if I can find out where, and the best way to do it.

Thanks a bunch... keep them coming, I'd like to have everything I need at the ready (yeah, I know.. good luck with that...LOL)

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Heads off of a Crown Victoria will work perfectly, but I think that the cams may be slightly different because the CVPIs are rated at 250HP, where the Mustang GT was rated at 260HP. The CVPI engines were the same all the way from 04-11, which were rated at 250.

The Sensor in the oil pan is an oil level sensor for a "Low Oil" Light in the Dash.

For the coolant crossover, I've read that it's a 37/64" drill with a 3/8 NPT. Can also use a 9/16 drill which is slightly smaller.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Heads off of a Crown Victoria will work perfectly, but I think that the cams may be slightly different because the CVPIs are rated at 250HP, where the Mustang GT was rated at 260HP. The CVPI engines were the same all the way from 04-11, which were rated at 250.

The Sensor in the oil pan is an oil level sensor for a "Low Oil" Light in the Dash.

For the coolant crossover, I've read that it's a 37/64" drill with a 3/8 NPT. Can also use a 9/16 drill which is slightly smaller.
excellent, thank you.

I'll have to see if the Crown Vic oil pan will fit then, it looks like it will... just without the Oil Level switch. Looking at online pics, it looks like it's just a 2 wire sensor... kind of like a N/O Float switch. Could I tie the wires together to defeat it?

Does that sensor get drilled in the crossover in the front of the intake?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
yes. there is a nice flat spot next to the thermostat housing that works perfect. and you should be able to jump the switch to keep the light off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts