Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a head gasket leaking on my 2002 GT and have been thinking about picking up a low-mileage 2008 3v motor.

It sounds like this won't bolt up to my existing TR3650... or will it? I have a pretty fresh Spec Stage 2 clutch & flywheel that I'd like to reuse if possible.

What about other parts that need to change for the swap? Existing motor mounts? The new/used 3v will come with AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc.

Thanks in advance (from somebody who hasn't done an engine swap in about 30 years.)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I don't know much about swapping a 3v, but I can't imagine it would be fun since its fly-by-wire. I would stick to a 4v swap or a built 2v personally. You might have more patience than I do, though.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
the 3 valves are awesome, My F150 with the 5.4 3v straight gets it. the 2v intake should bolt up to it, im about sure on that one

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
+1^. most swap's involve the stock manifold & cobra t/b.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
it does work and its not fly by wire there is a kit that converts the cable and works the tb just like on the 2v.... in fact there is 1 here for sale in houston for 7000 an 99 gt with a 3v with the comp nsr cams and it put down 330. its fun to drive and i dont think it is actually that hard to do

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
^ "omg... i love PSI and patrick is my boyfriend", says slow02gt. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Nobody said it couldn't be done. It is fly-by-wire until you conver it. Or you can change the eec and use the fly-by-wire. MMR was working on a swap kit don't know if they put it together or decided it wouldn't sell. You will also have to get cam locs (basically change the cam gears). By the way, you can swap almost any motor into any vehicle. Putting a 3v into a fox isn't that big a deal. Especially if you are getting paid to do it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
itd be easier/better to just do a 4v IMO

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
well you where talking like its a big deal to do when its not..
My first statement was "I don't know much about swapping a 3v". If it were so easy there would be a heck of alot of 3v New Edges doing it instead of 4v swaps. You have one in your car, right? You would have to or else you wouldn't know exactly how hard or easy it was to do it. I know I don't have one, hence my opening statement.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
sigh.... why cant we all get along... its easier to do a 4v swap... there are more threads about it here if u get stuck.. u will more than likely gain more power out of it and u will have more potential.. snuff said

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If my engine craps out I've been thinking about a 3v swap. Using the Logan Motorsport adapter kit (in the link above), a Cobra throttle body, an a variable valve lock out its suppose to be a direct swap. You can even use your existing ECU and wiring harness.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
itd be easier/better to just do a 4v IMO
sigh.... why cant we all get along... its easier to do a 4v swap... there are more threads about it here if u get stuck.. u will more than likely gain more power out of it and u will have more potential.. snuff said
the 3v has proven to be a very very good set up. they can closely match the 4v's and they have less rotating parts as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts