Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have a 2008 4.0 with the manual T-5 tranny. I was wondering if anybody has had trouble with the gears grinding. It started with 4th gear and it would only grind a little when the transmission was cold. Also it would only do it if i shifted into 4th quickly. Then about 2 months later, 5th gear started grinding, but only when i would pull hard out of the gear before it. Then just about 2 weeks ago 3rd gear started grinding a little bit when i would come fast and hard out of 2nd.

Any ideas??
Should i just let it break in a little more? i only have 6600 miles on it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just bring it to the dealer......under garantee no........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
push in ur clutch:dunno
I've got the clutch in, i even tried double clutching, but it still doesn't work. It is still under warranty so i'll probly take it to the dealer if nobody already knows what it is.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
sorry i unfortunately have an auto :(
the dealership that mine came from originally won't keep 5 speeds in stock they only have autos :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i took it to the dealer, and they wouldn't even tell me what was wrong with it, they just said they had to order me a new transmission

·
Registered
638 Posts
as long as its fully covered, no worries.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
that works.

oh.. you don't want to drive the car when the transmission is cold.. it's not too good for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dealership replaced it and tried to blame it on me... i got a whole new t5, but they said they won't do it again. i have a friend with an 06 mustang with a t5 that had the same problem. ever heard of it happening? they said the synchronizers went out and that caused gear damage.

·
Registered
388 Posts
the dealership replaced it and tried to blame it on me... i got a whole new t5, but they said they won't do it again. i have a friend with an 06 mustang with a t5 that had the same problem. ever heard of it happening? they said the synchronizers went out and that caused gear damage.
synchronizers on the mustangs must go out all the time. My 5thgear and reverse on is ****s up some times and my dad has a 2001 same ****

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
a buddy of mine works at a mr. transmission and he's told me before that the 05+ autos have alot of tranny problems... i know this doesn't help, but now you've got some corroboration

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i talked to a guy that used to work in the ford factory in the mechanical department. he said that downshifting while you're going too fast for the next gear down or whatever gear you try to put it into is most likely what did it. i haven't done any major amount of downshifting with this new transmission and it's working perftectly. so- i'm guessing problem solved.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i've decided that im just gonna baby my car and hope that **** doesn't break lol
but then its no fun :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had mine in the shop twice for this same problem. First time they told me nothing was wrong and about a month later they rebuilt the transmission. They told me its actually common amongst v6 manuals, the transmissions are usually the thing to go out first especially with the way some of us drive them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i talked to a guy that used to work in the ford factory in the mechanical department. he said that downshifting while you're going too fast for the next gear down or whatever gear you try to put it into is most likely what did it. i haven't done any major amount of downshifting with this new transmission and it's working perftectly. so- i'm guessing problem solved.
Do you think that heel toe shifting would help offset this problem?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I can't say I've ever had this problem. The only time I've ever grinded the tranny was if the clutch wasn't fully disengaged.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts