Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a set of BBR heads on my 4.6/5.3L motor going in and was thinking of putting my factory Mustang heads on my 2007 5.4L F150 (FlexFuel) to get rid of the old spark plug design.

What issues may I run into? I doubt it would be "plug-and-play".

·
KILLER
1,722 Posts
Im confused... The spark plug problem on the 3V is the plug, not the heads. Whats wrong with the plug design on the truck? If its the breaking spark plug problem like the 07-08 mustang, then change the plugs, not the heads.

Crack, the 2009 mustangs dont have the plug problems the 07-08 had.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Uhh... The 3v mustang heads still have **** for spark plugs... They still break off. It's a waste for your reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
07+ has a revised head design. They take 1 piece plugs.

Im confused... The spark plug problem on the 3V is the plug, not the heads. Whats wrong with the plug design on the truck? If its the breaking spark plug problem like the 07-08 mustang, then change the plugs, not the heads.

Crack, the 2009 mustangs dont have the plug problems the 07-08 had.
See above.

The trucks also had the problem. IIRC, there aren't too many good 1 piece plugs. But I'm with you. I'd rather replace the plugs with 1 piece or buy the $100 tool instead of killing my weekend and spending over $100 replacing heads.

OP, I'm 99% sure that 3V Mustang and F150 heads are direct bolt on replacement, aside from the cams (different profiles), and I remember seeing something about the phasers and VCT being different between the trucks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i think the heads are the same too but you will not gain anything by switching. ive done many spark plug changes on the 3v 4.6 5.4 engines, ive also broke a few plugs in the heads and i have never had to pull a head to get the broken part out. All the plugs i do, i always upgrade to one piece plug.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think the heads are the same too but you will not gain anything by switching. ive done many spark plug changes on the 3v 4.6 5.4 engines, ive also broke a few plugs in the heads and i have never had to pull a head to get the broken part out. All the plugs i do, i always upgrade to one piece plug.
My 2009 3V heads have the other thread count and not the problems of the previous years. I understand my 2007 F150 with 115K miles, I should expect more then one to break. I'm looking for a backup plan if I think I get porcelain or other debris in the cylinder that I'm not confident gets out. If I'm going to pull a head, my 19K miles S197 4.6 3V are available to put back on the 5.4L giving me the updated thread design.

Definitely going to use one piece plugs. Which do you recommend? Any tips to insure the cylinders are clear after using the Lisle or similar tool on any broken plugs?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i run the updated motorcraft ford plugs, when i do the plug change i make sure its on compression stroke so the valves are closed. The reason being if you do break a plug and the tool leaves a little bit of the old plug left in the cylinder you can use a air gun with a long tip on it and stick it in the cylinder and blow it out. Then use a scope insure the cylinder is clear. MAKE sure the valves are closed! The best way to get these plugs out with out breaking them is to use a impact gun on it. I know this sounds crazy but it works. I just did my brothers 2004 f150 5.4 3v with 96k and i got them all out. How i do it is have the engine warm, not hot. I do one side, start the truck, let it get warm, then do the other side. Also MAKE SURE you torque the plugs or you will get fuel vapor up the treads, then on the coil and you will smell gas in the cabin area. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Brisk Silver Racing plugs FTW. Problem solved for $90 and no head-swap required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts